074

It was the first week of July.

Melody's first birthday was only a few hours away.

Julia was baking like crazy. Melody's birthday cake was in the oven.

Her daughter was upstairs in her crib, peacefully sleeping, not knowing that tomorrow, she turns one.

Remembering that it was Melody's first birthday was a bit bittersweet, knowing what happened last year.

Only a few days ago, Kim died a year ago. Julia had visited Kim's grave. She took her daughter, and Steve accompanied them.

Before going to the cemetery, Julia had picked up some flowers to take to the graveyard. By the time they got there Kim's parents were already there.

They looked older and unhappy. The death of their only daughter took a toll on them. Julia wanted to explain to them what actually happened last year, but she knew they wouldn't believe her. They would think she was crazy. It wouldn't do them any good either. She would only be opening a wound.

They stayed there for a few hours. Julia talked to Kims tombstone. She didnt care if people thought she was crazy. It was a way she felt closer to her friend; even though she didn't get any response back, she knew that wherever Kim was, she was listening to her.

She told Kim about Melody's new milestones and how her daughter was going to turn one very soon.

She cried, knowing her little baby was growing up. That whole week Julia cried seeing her daughter. She wasn't crying because she was sad. She was crying because she couldn't believe she had Melody for a whole year. She had her little girl by her side for 365 days.

Melody's three layer vanilla birthday cake was done at 11:57 pm. Julia took them out of the oven one by one and set them on the kitchen counter, letting them cool down.

A small can of rainbow colored sprinkles were on the counter as well. While the cakes were cooling down, Julia started working on the purple frosting, but she noticed that the cakes were uneven, so she had to level them.

Once she staked them one on top of the other, she didn't want the cake to end up uneven. It was going to take her a little bit longer to prepare everything.

She looked at the clock, and it was 12:02. It was officially July 7th, the day Melody was born. A year ago, she was in pain, and she doubted herself, and now she feels a little bit more confident as a mother and stronger as a woman.

She debated whether or not to go to Melodys room and wish her happy birthday or wait until the morning. Her love for her daughter got the best of her, and she made her way up the stairs.

It would be something quick she tried to convince herself. She would be quiet, and Melody wouldn't even notice.

Julia was on the last step. She had made it without making a sound. The mother walked toward Melody's room and was surprised to see Steve outside their daughter's bedroom door.

"What are you doing," she whispered. He jumped, hearing her voice. He hadn't heard her getting close to him.

He turned around, "it's Mellows birthday," he answered.

They had the same idea. They wanted to wish their daughter a happy birthday and couldn't wait until morning.

She walked closer to him. "Let's be very quiet," he said and opened the bedroom door slowly.

With her hand on his shoulder they walked close together into the room. The room was halfway lit. There was a small lamp on the corner of the room. It was able to illuminate their way to the crib.