041

Steve woke up one morning with an odd feeling in the back of his head, and the atmosphere of the room felt weird.

He stretched his arms as he sat up on the bed. When he looked to the side to say good morning to Julia she wasn't there.

"Julia," he said, his voice sounding raspy.

It wasn't new for Julia to wake up before Steve, but he didn't know why but he had an unsettling feeling.

He got his shirt from the floor and put it inside out, not bothering to fix it.

Something bad was going to happen, he couldn't explain it, but he knew.

There was that feeling when you watch a scary movie, and you know the jumpscare is coming. The tone of the music changes; you can't see the full place, the camera only focuses on one character. Then the camera turns, and something pops up.

He felt the hairs on the back of his neck go up.

Steve made his way to the restroom urgently. Without knocking, he went into the restroom. It was empty; he moved the shower curtains to reveal nothing.

He left the restroom without turning off the lights and jogged to Melody's room.

His body wouldn't move as fast as he wanted it to. It was as if something else was controlling him; he didn't have control of his own body.

He finally reached Melody's room. His almost two-month-old daughter's room was already open.

"Julia," Steve said, opening the door wider expecting to see Julia with Melody, but once again, Julia was nowhere in sight.

The temperature of the room was cold. The crib was also empty; Steve was now panicking.

Julia wouldn't leave the house without leaving a note behind. She didn't mention anything yesterday either.

He brushed his messy hair back, his long fingers going through his hair. Julia was safe; he was making a big deal out of nothing.

"Steve," Julia yelled, her voice sounding far away.

"Julia," Steve said loudly, looking around. She wasn't in the room with him.

"Help!"

His heart began to beat faster, and his mouth went dry.

He ran down the stairs; he was focused on helping Julia; he didn't notice how everything around him was changing.

Steve was no longer in his house. As he made his way down the last step, he noticed how he was back at the Russian's secret underground base.

There was something definitely wrong. The small room was exactly how he remembered the same dark walls and the white blinding lights.

"Steve." Julia was in the center of the small room. She was sitting on a chair with her hands behind her tied together. The Russian who tortured Steve was standing next to her, his rough hand resting on her shoulder.

As he moved his foot to take a step toward her, the sound of chains stopped him from moving. He could only take a few steps toward her. The chain wouldn't let him get any closer.

"Let her go," he said sternly.

The Russian only laughed and moved his index finger from left to right in a no motion.

"Is this the Julia you mentioned," the Russian asked in a thick accent.

"Let her go. She doesn't have anything to do with this," Steve responded as he was once again being interrogated.