089

Otis didn't understand girls.

They were loud, annoying, and dramatic, well, his older sisters were.

He thought all girls would be the same, and if that was the case, he wanted to be as far away as possible from any girl.

He would see his sisters fight about clothes and freak out about celebrities like Axl Rose and James Marsden. He didn't understand what was so great about them.

He caught his older sister Melody kissing her Axl poster once. He had passed her room, and the door was wide open. She was on her tiptoes as she leaned closer to the wall. When she noticed him, she yelled at him and threw one of her pillows at him. He ran away, wanting to be far away from her.

Girls were weird.

His mind was set on the topic of girls until his last year of middle school. He had friends who went out with girls. Date them for a month, and the next day they would be going out with another girl.

He, on the other hand, was single and was happy to keep it that way. He didn't want to be in any of the drama. But then he saw her for the first time. It was love at first sight.

He was working on his history paper at the beginning of the second semester of eighth grade. There was a knock on the door, and his teacher Mr. Rattler opened the door.

A girl with tan skin and black wavy hair entered the classroom. He was too focused on his assignment he didn't notice her at first.

Mr. Rattler an elderly man, cleared his throat. "Class, this is Marisol; she's a new student," he introduced her.

He lifted up his head and got a good look at her. She was a few inches shorter than him, she had a baby blue dress and half of her dark hair was in a ponytail. Her eyes were hazel colored.

His mouth slowly opened. She was beautiful. He had never seen anyone as beautiful as her.

From a young age Otis thought there would never be any girl as beautiful as his mother, but Marisol was the exception.

"I want you guys to be nice to her and show her around," Mr. Rattler said.

He scanned the area looking for an empty seat. There was one on Otis' right side. "She can sit beside me," Otis said a little louder than intended.

The class erupted with laughter. His ears turned pink from embarrassment.

He was going to look down, not wanting to feel more embarrassed with her presence, but he caught her eye. She was already looking at him, and she smiled.

She smiled at him, and he swore he felt butterflies in his stomach, and his heart started beating faster.

She had a beautiful smile, and her teeth were perfectly white.

Marisol walked up to him. He started to freak out and moved his notebook around, accidentally dropping it as Marisol was passing. His notebook and pencils fell to her feet.

He apologized repeatedly, and she laughed at him with a soft angelic laugh.

"I'm Otis Harrington," he greeted her as she handed him back his notebook.

"Hello, Otis," she said with an accent. He liked the way she said his name. He wanted to be called like that forever. She strongly pronounced the letter 't' in his name.

"I can give you a tour of the school," he told her as she sat down.

She got out a piece of paper. "I'd love that thank you," she said politely.

He was a goner.

Otis was intoxicated by her. He would do anything to see her smile. He showed her the school and helped her get to her classes.