049

Another corpse was found by the highway.

It was the body of a young teen named Fred Benson. Julia didn't know him personally; he was younger than her. They never shared any classes together.

His body was in the middle of the road, covered with a white sheet. Reporters were already at the scene.

At the crime scene they found Nancy, who was being interrogated by the sheriff.

When she was done talking to the police, they went to the trailer park and sat on a wooden bench.

Julia was on the edge, Melody on her lap, and her small hands were on the wooden table, moving up and down, hitting it like drums.

"You're saying that this thing that killed Fred and Chrissy, it's from the Upside Down," Nancy asked once she was caught up with what Eddie told the group last night.

"If the shoe fits," Steve said, sitting down next to Julia.

"Our working theory is that he attacks with a spell or a curse. Now, whether or not he's doing the bidding of the Mind Flayer or just loves killing teens, we don't know," Dustin added, sitting on the other end.

Max sat across from Dustin and said, "All we know is this is something different. Something new." She looked down at her hands on the table.

"Doesn't make sense."

"It's only a theory."

"No, Fred and Chrissy don't make sense. I mean, why them," Nancy asked, wanting to know why they were the target.

"Maybe they were just in the wrong place."

While the conversation was going on between the rest of the group Julia looked ahead where the uneven road continued all the way down. She used to live in the old yellow house with her father.

It was the first time she was back after her father kicked her out. It sent an unsettling feeling down her spine. She moved her legs up and down, bouncing Melody in place.

Her father was never going to meet Melody. Julia was going to protect her from him. Melody was going to have a good life without anyone hurting her. Julia kissed the back of Melody's head, sealing the promise.

Steve put his hand on Julia's thigh, leaned near her ear, and whispered, "are you alright?" His voice brought her back. The memories of what her life used to be leaving her mind.

She turned her head toward Steve, their heads almost bumping into each other. He glanced at her lips for a second, then at her eyes, waiting for her response.

"I'm good. It's just my first time back after my dad kicked me out," she said softly, looking down at Steve's hand that rested on her thigh, his thumb caressing it.

"Do you want to leave," he asked. She shook her head "no, I'm good." Her lips were in a tight smile as she looked at his brown eyes. "I promise."

Steve wasn't fully convinced, but he didn't bother her with any more questions. He focused back on the conversation.

"Fred started acting weird the second we got here," Nancy said, remembering how her classmate acted.

"Acting weird as in," Robin asked, wanting her to elaborate.

"Scared, on edge, upset."

"Max said Chrissy was upset too," Dustin said, looking at Max.

"Yeah, but not here. She was crying in the bathroom at school," Max responded, glancing at Dustin for a second.

"Serial killers stalk their prey before they strike, right? So, maybe Fred and Chrissy saw this Vecman," Robin concluded.

"Vecna," Dustin and Julia said, correcting Robin.