014

Julia went to school the next day. It was Friday, and she was happy about it. She could have the weekend to spend in bed and do nothing, which is what she had been feeling to do this whole week.

It's been only a couple of days since she found out she was pregnant. She was still able to attend school like nothing major happened in her life.

She didn't know how long she could go like that, and her belly was going to show as time went by. Luckily for her, it was December, and colder months were approaching; she could wear a sweater and cover her belly for a few more months.

Classes were almost over one more, and then she could go home. The day was going by so slow her energy for the day was running out.

"I honestly can't believe he did that to you," Kimberly said, shaking her head in disbelief. She was still going on about Steve leaving after Julia told him she was pregnant.

She was mad that Steve left her best friend after hearing life-changing news. "Who does that," she said, annoyed.

When Julia told her this morning what he had done, she was ready to punch him in the face. You didn't want to mess with Kimberly Bell.

They walked side by side to their last classroom, "Kim, it's fi-" "Don't say it's fine, Jul, because it's not. He needs to be responsible for what he did," Kim said, interrupting her friend.

Julia was opening her mouth to protest when she saw Steve down the hall. This whole day he was the one avoiding her; she had to admit she didn't like it.

They made eye contact for the first time that day. Kim noticed who her best friend was looking at "don't look at him," Kim said, looking between Julia and then back at Steve, who had the smallest smile on his face.

"Let's go" Kim pulled Julia into their classroom. "Good afternoon Miss. Bell and Miss. Wallace, you two are eager to learn today," Mrs. Roberts said, standing in the front of the class. The class was half empty; other students were in the hall talking to their friends.

"Totally," Kim responded.

◦ ◦ ◦

Julia was home cooking, since she found out of her pregnancy, she had been cooking a little bit more for herself.

The food was almost done, the chicken only needed a few more minutes to cook, and she could finally eat the delicious food she cooked. She went to the oven and checked on her bread rolls.

A smile formed on her face as everything went smoothly.

She started to hum as she washed the dishes, not wanting to have the kitchen dirty, when there was a knock on the door. She turned the water off and dried her hands.

Julia walked to the front of the door, wondering who was on the other side. She unlocked the door and opened the door.

"Hey," breathed out Steve, waving at her with a lopsided smile.

There he was, holding a bouquet of flowers, peonies to be exact.

She didn't open the door any more and stood there with her arms crossed. "What are you doing here," she asked him.

"I want to talk. Can I come in?"

She debated with herself for a few seconds until she decided to let him in.

He had a day to think things through. She wanted to hear what he had to say.

She opened the door wider, letting him in. "These are for you," Steve said, handing her the flowers once he was inside. "Thank you, how did you know I like peonies?"

Steve smiled and took a few steps to where the sofa was in the living room. "I remember you told Dustin a few weeks ago. They are quite hard to find around this weather. I had to go to three different flower shops. That's why some of them are dead," he said, pointing at the flowers.

She looked at the flowers in her hands, and it was true some were losing their color others were dropping down.

"But that's not why I'm here," he added quickly. "I wanted to talk about what you told me yesterday."

She nodded and walked closer to him; they were in front of each other.

He laughed nervously, "I couldn't sleep last night. I was thinking about our interaction yesterday, and I want to start by apologizing for leaving," he said, fidgeting with his hands as he tried to make eye contact with her.

In the last 24 hours he had time to think he wanted to do things right. That's why he came up with this brilliant idea.

He was nervous and was starting to sweat. "Julia, I know we don't know each other very well, but I hope that changes because I think you are a wonderful person. I know our lives are going to change drastically with the baby on the way, but I promise that I will be there for you and our child," he said as he moved his shaking hand inside his front pocket.

He took something out and looked at it with a genius smile, "Julia, I promise to be there for you whenever you need me. I'll be the best father I can be, and I'll be the husband you deserve."

He held the ring between his index finger and thumb. "Will you marry me," he said as he got down on one knee.

Julia's eyes widened, and she took a step back "w-what are you doing," she asked, shocked.

Steve looked down at himself, then up at her; he thought it was obvious, "I'm proposing," he said simply.

She shook her head "well, don't do that."

He couldn't afford something fancy or romantic to propose to her, but he thought this could be a good start. Once he had a good job, he could do it again. And he worked really hard on his speech; it was all true.

He wanted to be a good father to his future child, not like his father, and he wanted to be a good husband.

He was going to be the opposite of his father; he knew that for sure. He got up, "I borrowed this ring from my mother. Well, I didn't tell her exactly, but she won't miss it. She is rarely home. I can't afford a different ring right now," he tried to explain.

"The ring is lovely, Steve; that's not the issue," she clarified.

He waited for her to explain as he put the ring back in his pocket. "I don't want to marry you," she said slowly.

"Oh," he said, looking down.

She quickly added, "Like you mention, we don't know each other, we are practically strangers. How are we going to spend the rest of our lives together with someone we don't even know? That being said, I would still love for you to be part of the baby's life."

She smiled at him and hoped he still wanted to be part of their baby's life.

Julia wanted to marry someone she loved, and right now, she didn't love Steve. Maybe, eventually her feelings for him might change.

"How about we get to know each other first," she asked.

"I would like that," he responded, smiling at her.

His nose scrunched when he smelled something burning, "do you smell that," he asked her.

"Oh, no, my bread," she exclaimed, dropping the flowers on the coffee table and running to the kitchen.

That Friday afternoon, Steve and Julia got to know each other a little bit more.

Julia learned that Steve could eat 4 burnt bread rolls without a care in the world, and Steve learned that Julia made the best rolls he had ever had in his life; he didn't even notice they were burnt.