088

Nora was in high school when she realized she had met her husband; she didn't know then, she was too stubborn to realize it, but the love of her life was there all along.

The reason why it might have taken her too long to realize who her future partner could be the fact that it was Benjamin Moos.

Oh, how much she hated him. By only saying his name, seeing his face, her mood would completely change.

He had a way of bringing out the fury in her, the not so nice part of her she secretly loved revealing.

Her dislike for the boy didn't start in high school; it started way back to first grade.

It was recess time, and she was running around with her friend Glory. She was wearing her favorite purple dress her older sister Melody had finally shared with her. Nora wasn't a fan of dresses, not like her sister, but she occasionally would wear a dress.

Her friend ran between a group of boys. Nora didn't want to slow down and run around them, she decided to run in a straight line by doing so; she passed a boy a few inches shorter than her, she tried to move away from him, not wanting to crash with him, but he had other plans. With his foot he tripped her, and she lost her balance and flew forward into a pile of fresh mud.

Her sister's dress was covered in the brown substance; her arms all the way to her elbows had crashed into the mud. She heard gasps around her.

Glory ran back to her. Giggling at her misfortune. The kids around her began to laugh at her and pointed their sticky fingers at her.

She looked over her shoulder with tears in her eyes and saw the boy who had caused this mess. He had a thin smile on his face.

A face she had seen often but couldn't remember the name.

After that day, Nora never forgot his name or the fact that he never apologized. She hated his guts then and now.

Mostly now since they shared several classes together and he talked to her in their classes. He was the captain of the basketball game in their school. It was a game day in their school.

Nora sat on the bleachers with her best friend by her side.

The basketball team entered the gym running with their uniforms on. Benjamin was in front of the group.

He scanned the bleachers area for a few seconds then he spotted her. She had a blue shirt, one of the main colors of the school. She had her elbow on her knee, and her chin rested on her hand.

He smiled at her and sent her a wink. She straightened up and rolled her eyes, making a disgusted face at him.

"She is so into me," he said proudly.

One of his teammates who heard him hit his back and said, "sure, buddy, and pigs can fly right."

Ben moved his teammates hand from his back. "You're laughing now, but one day you're going to be standing beside me on my wedding day," he said in all seriousness.

He had a crush on Nora since first grade. She didn't leave his mind since then, but after first grade she was rude to him and ignored him. He didn't know why, but he liked the chase.

The game started, and he needed to put his head in the game.

"You can't seriously still hate him," Glory said to her friend.

Every time Ben had the ball, Nora would roll her eyes or boo him. "You know I do, Glo." With her head, she followed the ball; she was very invested in the game.

"It happened years ago; has he done something else since," Glory asked. She was referring to the incident in first grade. Everyone knew about it. Nora made sure to bring it up every time.

Nora was on the edge of her seat as Ben bounced the ball. "Idiot," Nora mumbled as one of the opposite team got the ball from Ben.

Nora blinked and looked at her friend. "He's always bothering me, and he thinks we are friends or something," she said, and the side of her lips twitched up.

Nora clapped excitedly as the opposite team scored. She didn't care if her school team lost; she didn't want Ben to win.

"Maybe you should try to be friends with him. Plus he's cute," Glory said, smiling at one of the players.

"Are you hearing yourself? I will never date that fool." She shook her head.

Glory was crazy to think such a thing like that. Ben bounced the ball to the other side and in the last second, scored, making the team win.

He pointed at Nora as his friends cheered him on. Nora rolled her eyes at him, ignoring the win.

"He likes you Nora. When are you two going to date," Glory asked, walking down the bleachers as the game had ended.

"Never. I'd rather eat expired food from the cafeteria for a week than date that idiot," she responded.

"That's harsh, Blue," Ben commented, walking beside the girl. He wrapped his arm around her shoulder. "Get off me, you stink," she complained and moved her shoulder, making his arm drop.

"And don't call me that," she reminded him. "Whatever you say, Blue," he said as he walked backwards.

"I'm going to the showers, but I'll see you at lunch," he commented and winked at her.

"I hope you drown," she said with a fake smile. "Don't miss me too much," he said and jogged to the locker room.

"I better be your maid of honor at your wedding," Glory said with a smile seeing their conversation unfold.

It was like that everyday. Glory knew Ben liked her friend; it was obvious. She was sure everyone knew it. Everyone except Nora. She was too blind by her hatred for the boy she couldn't see how much he liked her.

They fought back and forth, but one day in their junior year, something changed that would make her rethink every single moment they had shared.

𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐍𝐨𝐭𝐞

𝙸 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝙽𝚘𝚛𝚊'𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙱𝚎𝚗'𝚜 𝚍𝚢𝚗𝚊𝚖𝚒𝚌. 𝙸𝚏 𝙸 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎, 𝙸 𝚖𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚠𝚛𝚒𝚝𝚎 𝚊 𝚕𝚒𝚝𝚝𝚕𝚎 𝚋𝚒𝚝 𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚒𝚛 𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚛𝚢.