081

It was the end of August when Julia got sick.

She knew it wasn't a normal cold or something she would get better within a week. She threw up last night and was more tired than usual. She could barely wake up in the morning.

Steve had gone to work and left her and Melody.

With tired eyes Julia went to the restroom.

She felt a rumbling sensation in her stomach moving upward to her throat. She threw up into the toilet. The burning sensation stayed on her throat. She rinsed her mouth.

It reminded her when she was pregnant with Melody. Having that thought in her brain. She stood up straight and dried her mouth.

She needed to take a pregnancy test to be sure. She bought the familiar test and went back to the restroom.

Melody accompanied her and sat on the floor, playing with her stuffed animal.

Julia hated waiting two hours to get the results.

In the meantime she cleaned the restroom waiting for the two hours to pass.

She took the dirty clothes to the laundry room.

Melody saw her mom get out of the restroom; she got up from the floor and left her toy behind.

Wherever her mother went she was behind her like a shadow. It didn't matter that her mother would promise her she would be back in a few minutes; she needed to make sure she was coming back.

She followed her everywhere. If she went to the kitchen to get water Melody would get water too. If Julia needed to use the restroom, Melody would wait outside the door and knock frequently, making sure her mother was still there. It was a hard job, but Melody was happy to be with her mother.

Two hours had passed, and the results were in. It's positive she's pregnant again. She was going to be a mom for the second time.

She couldn't believe it; she wanted another baby but wanted to wait until Melody was a little bit older; she had barely turned two.

She looked down at her daughter, who was sitting on top of her stuffed animal.

"Melody, I'm pregnant," she whispered.

Her two-year-old didn't know what that meant. She looked at her mother confused.

Julia sat on the floor next to Melody. "You're going to be a big sister. Are you excited," Julia asked.

Melody had never heard the word sister before, but she didn't like the sound of it. Melody shook her head and said, "No, mama."

Julia didn't expect that response from her daughter.

Melody still had nine months to get used to the idea of being a big sister. Melody got up and sat on top of Julia's lap, ignoring personal space. Julia kissed the back of Melody's head.

Both girls stayed like that for a few minutes.

Julia wanted to tell someone beside Melody, but Kim was gone, and she didn't want to tell Steve over the phone.

She wanted to tell Robin, but the young girl was in college hours away. She could probably call her and hoped she would answer, and that's what Julia did.

She got up from the restroom floor and walked downstairs to the home phone.

She dialed Robin's number and waited for her friend to pick up. After the third ring Robin answered.

"Hello," she said in a sing-song voice.

"Robin, hi, it's Julia," she answered slowly.

"Oh hey Juliana," she joked. "It's not Friday. Do you love me so much you couldn't wait for our weekly call."