TWENTY-ONE

DANIEL HARPER

DANIEL HARPER

The limo driver drove us back to my campus after a long, but very entertaining, weekend. I was back in my tuxedo because it’s the only decent clothes I have. Lucien sat next to me on his phone doing some “business” talk. 

“Listen, Tommaso, just get the guy and talk to him. I’m sure he has a reason.” Lucien said. His eyebrows were angry and his face was a bit red. 

I looked down and saw he was starting to clutch my hand hard. His anger is starting to hurt me. 

“Lucien! Lucien!” I repeatedly said. He snapped out his phone call. I shook my hand and he saw how he was clutching it. He quickly let go of my hand. My hand was a bit red.

“Mi dispiace, Danny.” Lucien apologized. He turned into his call, said something in Italian, and hung up. He brought my hand up to his face and observed my hand. “I didn’t mean to.” He said.

“I know.” I smiled at him, trying not to yell from the pain.

“By the way, my dad’s birthday is coming up.” He said.

“How old is he turning?” I asked. 

“49.” Lucien replied.

“How old was he when he had you?” I asked.

“He was 25.”

“When is his birthday?” I asked.

“November 24.”

“Oh, Thanksgiving week. How fun!” I replied.

“Yeah. Papa likes to joke that he was born during that week because he was a form of thanks to the earth.” Lucien said. 

“I could definitely picture him saying that.” I laughed. The car finally pulled up to my campus. Lucien hugged me close to him tightly. “What are you doing?” I asked.

“I need a few more seconds with you!” He replied. His arms were wrapped tightly around my torso. My back was up against his hard chest.

“Sir, we’re here.” The driver said. Lucien tucked his head into my shoulder and kissed my shoulder.

“Please don’t go.” He said. I love his attachment.

“How bout we go to your apartment today?” I asked him. He perked up and kissed my cheek. 

“Come on! Let’s go!” He eagerly said.