THIRTY-ONE

DANIEL HARPER

DANIEL HARPER

I walked alongside Angie as she talked to me about her sorority girls that she’s met. Class was canceled for me and I didn’t want to bother Lucien or his drivers. And besides, I haven’t hung out with Angie in a while.

“Any plants for Christmas?” Angie asked.

“Mmm, not sure. I think Lucien wants me to be with him during Christmas.” I replied.

“You okay with that? Spending the holidays away from your family from Arizona?” Angie asked.

“I mean, I’m already on good terms with Lucien’s family. They see me as part of them already. And I’m a growing boy. I’m sure my aunt and uncle will understand that sometimes I’ll have to spend days away from them.” I said.

“Well I’m going to Norway to visit my family there.” Angie said.

“Norway sounds fun! I bet Christmas feels different over there.” 

Angie’s phone began ringing. We stopped by a tree as she took a call. 

“Seriously? Now?!” She gasped. I turned and saw her covering her mouth with her hand. “I’ll be right there!” She said and hung up the phone. 

“Is everything okay?” I panicked.

“Hell no! There’s an emergency at the sorority! Are you busy right now?” She urgently asked me.

“No, I’m free-”

“Good! Come with me!” She grabbed my hand and began to drag me through the quad. I stumbled a bit but managed to match Angie’s speed. She walked us towards her sorority house. As she entered, I saw a bunch of preppy girls all panicking.

“Sister Angie!” A girl called out. I saw a blonde haired girl run over to her. “Thank God you’re here! It’s bad! She might die if we don’t do something!” She began walking through the halls of the house while Angie, who still was holding my hand, followed her. 

We reached the front of a bedroom door with a glitter sign that read ‘Jessica’. 

“She’s in there. Can you help her?” The blonde girl asked. 

“I’ll do my best.” Angie said. She knocked on the door and opened the door. Immediately, the sound of a girl crying, no, wailing, could be heard. Angie entered the room while I stayed at the door.

“Who the hell are you?” The blonde girl who brought us here asked me.

“Daniel Harper. I’m friends with Angie.” I told her. 

“Oh, you’re Danny!” She squealed and for some reason hugged my torso. “We’ve heard so much about you!” 

I watched as Angie went to the bed and kneeled on the floor. On the floor was a girl who was sobbing. She wore a pink hair net and was bawling.