THIRTY-NINE

LUCIEN VITTORI

LUCIEN VITTORI

After months of planning, today was the day. There was another reason why we went to Italy those months ago. When we were young, nonna had made all the men in the family custom rings. These rings we would get when we were ready to propose to someone. But before we can propose to someone, nonna needs to make sure that they are a good suit. As both a member of the family and as a wife.

Luckily, Danny passed with flying colors. He even got the honor of getting some of her recipes, something that she only does to people she really likes.

I held the ring in my hand. The ring was made of platinum. A ruby was on the top. The Vittori seal was plastered on the inside, to make sure it’s known as a Vittori ring. 

I waited in the center of the living room. As soon as Danny walks in, I’ll be on my knees and proposing to him.

So I waited. And waited. And waited. My knee was starting to give out. I grabbed my phone and began calling Danny. I called him over 20 times and he didn’t pick up.

Okay, don’t freak out. I’m sure there’s some delays. Nothing to panic.

But fuck it! It’s been too long! Where is my boy?! 

I called the pilot of the plane. 

“Where is Danny?!” I angrily asked.

“I don’t know, sir. He never arrived!” The pilot said.

“What do you mean never arrived?” I asked, clenching my teeth.

“The driver never picked him up. He was waiting in front of Mr. Harper’s home. But his family told us that he already got into a different car.” The pilot explained.

I hung up and went on the tracking app I had for Danny. I saw that his phone was on a random street in Phoenix. I sent the coordinates to the driver and told him to investigate. Meanwhile, I called my parents over. Luckily, they were in SoHo and came quickly.

“Lucy!” Dad said. “What do you mean Danny isn’t here yet?” He asked.

“He never got in the car! He got in a different one! And he hasn’t answered his phone!” I yelled with a panic in my voice.

“Calm down, Lucy. Maybe he took a detour. Let’s just wait.” Mom said. I sat on the couch, shaking my knee and trying not to throw something.

“Were you planning on proposing to Danny?” Dad asked.

“Mhm. Figured it was time.” I said. 

“Aww. That’s sweet.” Mom said. Her face changed when she saw the handcuffs and lube on the table. 

I waited for a few minutes. That’s when the driver called.

“Where is he?!” I quickly asked.

“He isn’t here. His phone is here. The screen is cracked. Whichever car he got into must’ve thrown it out.” The driver said.