THIRTY-THREE

LUCIEN VITTORI

LUCIEN VITTORI

No traceable location. No identifiable ID. Not even the name can be found on those dark web lists. Edward’s number is a true enigma. It’s like some force that hides itself. And the number does work. Edward sent Danny a picture of himself sitting in a tree smiling. 

“So what? Nothing? Is that all we have?!” I angrily said. 

“Calm down, Lucien. We’re trying our best.” Lorenzo replied.

“If you were trying your best, that son of a bitch’s head would be on this table right now!” I yelled.

“We do have something…” Someone said.

“What is it?” I asked.

“We know that the Lombardis seem to be expanding their territories. At first, we thought it was maybe a mistake. But when we talked to a few of their people, they were told that it’s not a mistake. The leaders are telling them to position in our spots.” Lorenzo explained.

“What places have they taken?” My dad asked.

Lorenzo pulled out a folder and took out a piece of paper. He slid it over to us as we looked at the map of New York.

“As you can see, the red is us. The blue is the Lombardis.” Most of the island was red but some spots were blue. “If you look at the yellow, that’s where they’re taking.” 

The spots in yellow were mainly just streets. But the spot that was the most frightening was the large blocks of yellow. 

“And if you can tell, the spots they’re mostly taking are areas near the campus Mr. Harper attends.” Lorenzo said. I looked at the map and saw that, surrounding the NYU campus, were several places highlighted in yellow. 

“They’re trying to take spots near where Danny spends most of his time…” I muttered. 

“This means that we know they’re efforts are focused on Danny. And with the holidays coming up, he can spend all his time in your residence and won’t be out of sight.” Someone explained.

“True. Danny only has a few more days of school left.” I said.

I’m not letting him out of my sight. Once school ends, he’ll be in my arms 24/7. Not even God can pry him off. And the few weeks will give us a bit more time to figure out what to do about Giorgio Lombardi. All I know is I want him dead. 

I quickly sped back to campus in my car. I entered the parking lot and quickly got out. I raced towards the library, where Danny told me he was at. Despite my objections because it’s almost night, Danny insisted on being here. Luckily, Danny was also walking out of the library.

“Danny.” I called out to him. He rubbed his eyes and turned up to look at me. 

“Lucien!” He said. He walked into my arms and planted his face on my chest. “I’m tired. Can you take me home?” He said.