FORTY-FIVE

LUCIEN VITTORI

LUCIEN VITTORI

Despite what my parents were telling me, I refused to hop off the bed. Everytime they told me to give Danny space, I pulled Danny closer to my body. It got to the point where he was sitting on my thighs.

“Syl, let the boys be together.” Mom said to my dad.

“Fine! They might as well just fuck each other with they’re at it!” Dad replied. He let mom sit in the chair I previously sat in while dad got the doctor’s chair and sat on it. 

“How long was I out?” Danny asked.

“Two days. After you shot… Giorgio… you passed out. I panicked that something happened to you, maybe some internal bleeding from the crash. But luckily, it was just exhaustion.” I said.

I wasn’t sure if I should bring up the other thing the doctors saw when he was examined. According to the doctors, Danny had signs of forced penetration. I broke down crying when I heard that. I never wanted this to happen to Danny. It’s why I let him choose to leave this, because of how much he was hurt. 

“What happened to the Lombardis?” Danny asked.

“As you know, Edward and Giorgio were killed.” I said.

“After the death of those two, the remaining Lombardis surrendered. Some of them were killed during the ongoing shootout but some are imprisoned in secluded places.” My dad said.

"How many men did you guys lose?” Danny asked.

“Nine.” I replied. Danny looked like he wanted to break down. Tears filled his eyes.

“They died because of me.” He muttered. 

“No they didn’t, Danny.” My mom said. She reached forward and grabbed his hand. “They knew what they were doing when they went into that place. They agreed to sacrifice themselves for you.”

“Did any of them have family?” He asked.

“Some of them did.” My mom replied.

“Is it possible we can give them some money?” Danny asked.

“Of course.” My dad said. “We’ll give them compensation. We’ll talk about it later. Yeah?” Dad asked. 

Danny nodded. So caring, he is.

“And what about my aunt and uncle? Do they know I’m in the hospital?” Danny asked.

“We called them and told them. Don’t worry. We sent a plane to pick them up.” My dad said.

“So Danny, where do you want to go from here?” My mom asked.

Danny looked at me then back at my parents. “I just want a break. Take a break from school and fix myself.” He replied.