FORTY-SIX

LUCIEN VITTORI

LUCIEN VITTORI

Danny's aunt and uncle and my parents were staring at one another. It wasn’t like they wanted to kill each other. But Danny's aunt has a tendency of staring people down to see what kind of people they are. Just like she did to me in Arizona.

“Nice to meet you,” Danny's aunt said. “I’m Cassie Harper, Danny’s aunt. And this is my husband, Pedro.” She nudged Danny's uncle.

“Huh? Oh, that’s me!” Danny's uncle extended his hand to my dad. My dad looked at Pedro’s hand and instead leaned forward to shake his hand, he pulled him in to hug him.

Forgot how much of a jokester my dad is.

“I’m Sylvester. This is my lovely wife, Elena.” Everyone greeted each other while Danny and I sighed in relief that they’re getting along.

I brought in two chairs for Danny's aunt and uncle to sit. I then climbed back onto the hospital bed behind Danny and hugged him close to my chest. I saw Danny's aunt with a huge smile on her face whenever I kissed his face or hugged him tightly.

“So did they catch the robbers who held you hostage in that bank?” Cassie asked. Danny was confused and looked at my dad.

“Yes! They did! They’re going away for a long time!” My dad quickly said. 

I leaned into Danny's ear. “It’s a lie. We can’t tell them the truth.” I explained to him. 

The food was brought out. Danny eagerly jumped because he can finally eat something that isn’t bland or forced down his throat. He didn’t even care that it was hospital food. A fucking cheeseburger and crinkle cut fries with a diet Coke has never taste better before to him.

“I also got you a cake.” I said. I opened the container and pulled out a slice of chocolate cake. He ate it down and offered me some. But I never ate it, insisting that it was for him and only him. 

I saw Cassie looking at Danny's left hand. She leaned over to my mom and whispered something. The two talked, looking at me.

“When am I getting discharged?” Danny asked.

“Since you have no broken bones, which is a miracle, and you were mainly dehydrated and exhausted, you just need an exit checkup. Then you can leave.” I explained.

Despite the hospital not being the best place to feel relaxed, I simply couldn’t care less. My family, boyfriend, and everything I could need was with me. I knew that I and Danny were safe now and could relax.

After a final checkup, Danny was finally discharged from the hospital. I had some clothes brought over, since the ones I gave to him after the rescue were destroyed. My dad had a car brought over to us in the parking lot while Cassie and my mom talked.

“Where are you two staying?” My mom asked Cassie.

“A small motel. It was the only one available that we could get.” Cassie replied.