FORTY-ONE

DANIEL HARPER

DANIEL HARPER

My eyes opened up and I slowly woke up. I thought for a moment that I was back in Lucien’s room. Where he has his warm sheets and wide windows where I can look over Central Park. But as soon as I felt the cold metal of the bed I was strapped in, I began crying.

The pain began to settle in. I was sore everywhere. I felt myself slowly losing morals. At first, I was waiting for Lucien to burst through the door and save me and take me in his arms to be my Superman. Save the day for me. 

Instead, when the door opens, a random guy would come in. 

I’ve lost track of how much time I’ve spent here. I was taught a long time ago how to determine the time by keeping my focus. The last time I saw sunlight I guessed what hours have passed. But now, I only can tell when the men were about to walk in because of a cycle.

“Good morning, Danny!” Edward said, walking into the room with a tray in his hands. 

At least I know it’s morning right now.

“Edward?” I softly said, crying. “Please! Just let me go!” I pleaded

“When are you going to understand? I don’t plan on letting you go. We need you, Danny.” Edward said.

It’s no use pleading with him. Whenever I ask him to let me go, he will always reject my offer.

We both heard my stomach grumbling. Edward placed his hand on my stomach and rubbed it. 

“Is Danny hungry?” He asked in a condescending tone. “Lucky for you, I brought breakfast.” He said. He pumped something from under the table I was laying on. Half of the table began to move upwards and made me sit up straight. It reminded me of those chairs you sit at when you go to the dentist.

I was sitting as while Edward sat on a chair next to me with the tray of food in hand.

“I brought you some fruits and oatmeal.” He said. He got a spoonful of oatmeal and traced it to my mouth. I leaned away from it and refused to open my mouth. “If you’re worried, it’s peanut free.” He said.

My stomach began to grumble again. I was hungry. I had to eat if I wanted to see Lucien again.

“There we go, that’s good.” Edward said as I ate the oatmeal. 

He would feed me food while I sobbed quietly, not wanting to make too much noise. He would throw in some fruit and watch me eat.

“I have a question, Danny.” Edward said. I hate it when he calls me Danny. Only people close to me can call me that. My aunt and uncle, Angie, Sylvester and Elena, and most of all, Lucien. 

“Hmm.” I replied, letting him know that I was open to his question.

“Did you honestly ever expect that something like this would happen? Where you would get kidnapped and used against the Vittoris?” Edward asked.