25 ~ Strangers

Victoria POV

I was staying at New York's Premier Towers off of Fifth Avenue. I was on the fortieth floor with a wonderful view of the New York's skyline from every window of the room. Fresh flowers, champagne and fruit were prepared and the room was large enough for a small village. This was way too much for little old me, I just needed a bed, a bathroom and a desk. Instead I got a two bedroom suite, a full kitchen and bar with separate living/dining and entertaining area. I let Sara book the place and I should have known it wouldn't be a Motel 6 or a Hyatt. She always had extravagant taste so this shouldn't have been a surprise.

Having money hadn't really changed me. I lived comfortably and I preferred it that way. I did major renovations to Mama Deb's house because she refused to move. The house I lived in was large but still had a homely feel to it. Sara helped me decorate but I soon had to put her on a budget. Life was good and hopefully after today it would be even better.

It had started raining when I made it to the exit door of the hotel. I didn't have an umbrella and of course I was all dressed in my black suit and white ruffled blouse with my attaché case on my shoulder ready to go. The doorman saw me and was nice enough to let me borrow one of the hotel's poncho and umbrella.

He hailed me a cab and I gave the driver the address. I had only been in New York for a few hours and I already missed my baby. I picked up my phone and dialed Sara.

"Okay please don't tell me you are going to be one of those hovering mamas. Mia has been fed and she is napping."

"I miss her. This is the first time I have been this far away from her."

"I know but what you're doing is important."

"I know. I will admit I'm a little nervous."

"Vic your business plan is flawless. You have a waiting list of teachers ready to sign up, and those children need that school. You've always wanted to do something positive and now here is your chance to do it."

"Maybe I'm biting off more than I can chew."

"This is your dream Vic. Don't let doubts and insecurities stand in your way. Just think in five years the Robinson Academy for Girls will be the school every girl wants to attend. You have not only invested in the property but they have started remodeling now, so you can't give up."

"You're right, I just hope everyone sees the vision."

"They will because you believe in what you're doing. The passion you have behind this endeavor makes people want to listen and help."

"Thanks Sara. If I can get this grant I think Eric would have been proud."

"I think so too. Now go do your thing."

"Well will you at least send me a picture of Mia."

"When she wakes up. I put that little lilac seersucker dress on her with those lilac Mary Janes and her flower headband, she looks gorgeous."

"What happened to the red polka dot romper I had on her?"

"She didn't like it. Plus we are going to stroll down the streets of Uptown, we have to look good."

"No I bet her auntie didn't like all those snaps."

"That could have had a little to do with it," she said laughed. I shook my head and giggled.

"I'm almost at my destination. I will call you later." I hung up, grabbing my purse and attaché case. I paid the driver and got out.

The tall lustrous building must have been at least twenty stories tall. It had old historic charm made to sit out from the other modern buildings around.