1~ The Beginning

Victoria POV

"Are we still going to the Alpha's swim party?" Sara my best friend and sorority sister asked.

"I don't know. I have a really big test on Monday and I need to study. You know ya girl is on a scholarship so I have to keep my grades up."

"Or is it because you think you will be the only black chic there?"

"That too."

"Come on Victoria. You pledged a majority white sorority what did you expect? We do a lot of things with the Alphas, Sigmas and Kappas, so you might as well get use to it."

"I might not... never mind."

"No say it. We have been friends since middle school. Don't you dare start a statement and don't finish it! You know that aggravates the crap out of me."

"I am going to stick out like a sore thumb."

"Hello? Earth calling Tori? Are you there? You are the only brown-skinned girl in Delta, actually the only African American girl this sorority has ever had. Have you looked at the pledge class picture? Also the only girl with the highest GPA in here too."

"Yeah... but I only did it because of you. I never thought I would get in."

"Times have changed Tori. You need to be proud of your ethnicity and being a member of this sorority. Don't you know some of the alumni own or run major corporations. You are a straight A business student don't you think the sky is the limit for you."

"Yes I know but it just seems like they let me in because I was black."

"Damn it Tori, listen to yourself. I get so sick and tire of you putting yourself down. Like Mama Deb said be a strong black woman!" Sara said putting her hand on her hip and shaking her finger.

I burst into laughter and so did Sara. Mama Deb was my grandmother that raised me and sometimes raised Sara, when her parents left her alone in their million-dollar home.

I was sitting in the chair and Sara spun me around and we both looked in the mirror. She starts off with our Maya Angelou theme as she says the first verse of Phenomenal Woman that Mama Deb would recite to us since we were twelve. After she repeated it she cleared her throat and recited her part doing the motions.

I walk into a room

Just as cool as you please,

And to a man,

The fellows stand or

Fall down on their knees.

Then they swarm around me,

A hive of honey bees.

I say,

It's the fire in my eyes,

And the flash of my teeth,

The swing in my waist,

And the joy in my feet.

I'm a woman

Phenomenally.

Phenomenal woman,

That's me.

"Your turn," she says looking at me with those big green eyes and that devilish grin on her face. I took a deep breath and stared into the mirror picturing myself as a phenomenal woman.

Men themselves have wondered

What they see in me.

They try so much