44 ~ Mending

Vic POV

Alexander unlocked the front door of my house and I walked in. After the Terrance incident along with Grace's legal drama towards me and a failed inspection, today was one of the worse. Mama Deb was gone, God I wished she was still here.

In the car all I wanted to do was go home and figure out a way to get through this ordeal. If my school didn't open, there would be so many kids disappointed and all the hard work me and my staff put in would just be a waste.

Walking into the kitchen I threw my keys and phone across the counter. I felt so defeated and just wanted to strangle Grace Robinson and Terrance. Mr. Henry still hadn't called me back. I trusted him, Mama Deb swore by him. I wanted to scream.

Deep down something made me feel uneasy. How could all this happen in one day, the timing was absolutely too damn perfect. If I had to put money on it, that old bat was trying to make a mockery of my life. That cease and desist order seemed to start my downfall.  I stopped in my tracks when I heard my phone ringing. I turned around looking towards the counter. My phone was moving all across the marble so I grabbed it quickly.

"Sorry I missed your call Victoria. My granddaughter graduated from college  today," Mr. Henry said.

"What did you do to my school? I trusted you." I was trying to keep my cool but it wasn't working.

"What are you talking about?"

I pulled out the form the inspector gave me and began to read off everything he found wrong with the buildings.

"That's not true. Everything is set, the city inspector came out the day before yesterday and gave us all the permits to finish the main building and supplementals. As a matter of fact, his deputy inspector, Walter Mendoza and his engineer came out personally and inspected the atrium this morning since it was a last minute add-on. I have the paperwork in my office."

"Can't be! The inspector came this afternoon."

"Impossible! I know majority of them and the only ones I deal with work for DPW or a private firm with a reputable reputation. What is his name? What company? What did he look like?"

"His name was Liam Young. Tall, blonde hair, looked older. Had a tatoo on his hand that probably went up his arm. He had a white button down shirt on. He even gave me his business card. Looks to be for Rouses Inspections. Had everything an inspector would have I guess. He tested pipes, turned knobs and went under the buildings."

"He's not legit. There is no inspector by the name Liam Young, licensed in the State of Louisiana or anywhere else. Rouses Inspections does not exist. He is a fraud."

"What?!"

"I'm sorry Victoria. I wished I would have answered earlier. I'm headed to the school. No telling what this person has done or will do. Does the bottom of your form have his license number?"

"Just his signature, wait the number is B2390."

"All inspector license numbers begin with LA along with a six digit number. Oh honey, someone is trying to make a mess of this?"

My mouth was completely hanging open.

"Was Terrance there?"

"What? Yes he was there but he won't be coming back."

"Good. I wonder if he had something to do with this. He's been hanging around the school a lot. He's been coming late when we are shutting everything down for the day."