38 ~ Memories...Activated

Victoria POV

A hour later we were at the quaint little Italian restaurant. It was old world style with pizza makers tossing dough in the air, instrumental violin music playing in the background and wallpaper that had seen better days. Mia watched in fascination laughing and giggling at the show.

"So Alexander are you from New York?"

He looked at me a little strange.

"Actually I'm not but I finished law school here. It's just like home."

"So where are you originally from?"

"Good question. I was an army brat, never really had a home state." His lip twitched. He was lying. He actually looked uncomfortable.

"Every now and again I hear a little southern accent."

"Really?"

"It's very faint. Forgive me for saying this but I think you are lying."

"Why would I do that?"

"Are you ashamed of your southern roots since you are a big time New Yorker now?" I asked cutting spaghetti noodles for Mia.

"Of course not."

"Now you wouldn't lie to me right? It wouldn't be very kind if you did." He wiped his mouth and quickly switched the conversation.

"So are you originally from Baton Rouge?"

"Yes, born and raised. I'm a proud native."

He laughed but I didn't.

"Is the pizza to your liking?"

"Yes, very good. Why don't you like talking about yourself and your life? I've told you things but it seems that you shy away from talking about yourself."

"There's really not much to tell."

"I would have to disagree with that. You seem like a very complicated man with layers and layers still yet to be revealed."

"I'm a lawyer."

"What are you hiding Alexander Scott?"

"Nothing," he quickly said calling the waitress over. He was starting to look nervous but he turned back to me with a smile.

"Why won't you talk to me? I promise whatever is discussed will remain between us."

"There is nothing to tell..."

"You've already said that. I'm not just some random woman that will go and blab to the press about you. I wouldn't share our intimate interludes with a stranger. You want me to consider a relationship then there can't be half-truths or lies. I don't want to be a part of them. I have enough stress in my life now, I don't need any additions."

"I'm sorry you feel that way. I would never intentionally want to do that."

"I believe you, but I still want to know."