17 | S C A N

The pain of betrayal will always be hard

The pain of betrayal will always be hard. But knowing that the people who would have had the answers to the truth are dead. That's what was harder to process, the different scenarios and questions Aria was so deep in thought about were giving her a headache. The evidence was right in front of her, Damon had given her the medical report about her mom's pregnancy with a picture from her twelve-week scan.

Taking a deep breath she passes the file and the photo to Jeremy. He was the first person she had thought of when Damon explained everything to her. He had the same right to know as Aria did. Jeremy was very surprised as he saw his twin walking into their home with a broken and vulnerable expression on her face. Quickly sitting down next to him on the couch.

Furrowing his eyebrows he looks down at the file and the baby scan photo "What's this?"

Aria points with her shaky hands toward the front page of the file "Look at the name."

Jeremy looks at the name and tilts his head "Miranda Gilbert. Why do you have mom's file?"

Wiping the single tear that fell from her cheek she points at the baby scan "That photo is when she was pregnant with you."

"With us you mean?" Jeremy questions unsurely.

Aria shakes her head with a sad smile "No Jer. She was only pregnant with you. Her medical report show she only had one child."

"But we're twins" Jeremy states his voice breaking at the realization.

"All I know is that after you were born. I suddenly appear but with no papers of how and when." Aria says pulling her knees to her chest. Finally saying the words out made it seem more real to her.

Jeremy wraps his arm around his sister's shoulders, letting her curl into his side "I don't care what this file says. You are my twin. You are my sister. End of." Kissing her forehead and wiping away the tear's that rolled down her face.

"I guess it makes a little sense now" Jeremy adds "With the abilities you have. It makes sense how only you have them and not me."

Aria nods her head "That's true."

"There's something else...Elena is adopted." Aria concludes wanting her brother to know everything, there was no way she would hide anything for him.

Jeremy's eyes went wide "Really? With the way mom and dad were with her, I would never have expected that."

"I know...do you think that's why they never spent time with us...because of me?" Aria questions fiddling with her fingers.

"Don't say that!" Jeremy says sternly. "They had no reason to act like that with us. I won't let you blame yourself for something you couldn't control Ria. We were children that needed the same care and them ignoring us was their fault."

"Okay."

"say it, Ria." Jeremy puts his fingers under her chin making her look at him.

"Not our fault." Aria mutters.

"No. it's not your fault Aria. Say it." Jeremy says.

"it's Not my fault."

"Good," Jeremy concludes.

"Are you going to the Grill?" he asks changing the subject.

Aria sighs "Yeah. Since I told him to stop using Caroline, he asked me to help him get some necklace"

Jeremy raises an eyebrow "A necklace?"

"Yeah. He wants to get Kathrine out of the tomb. He wants to know how she really feels about him and with my abilities I'll be able to know if she's lying. I feel for him all he wanted was someone to love him and knowing that she could have been using him all this time it's sad." Aria explains.

"That's why he's the way he is?" Jeremy half states half questions.

Aria leans her head on his chest "He's protecting himself from getting hurt again."

"I always believe there is a reason for somebody to act and behave the way they do. For people to judge without knowing the full story isn't fair."

"Do you ever think we'll get a break?" Jeremy questions his sister running his fingers through her hair.

"Nothing has been the same since the accident" Aria mumbles.

"Will you ever tell me what happened that night?" Jeremy never pushed his twin about the accident knowing how sensitive she would get with the subject.

"It's not pretty. I still try to understand what actually happened too" Aria says scared of how he would react.

"Only if you're comfortable. If you're scared, I'll be mad. That would never happen" Jeremy strongly says to his twin.

"You know how Elena went to the party that night?"

"Yeah?"

"I had a dream well more like a nightmare that night and asked mom and dad to stay will me. They had gotten a call and said I would be fine on my own while they went to get her." Aria slowly explains the dreadful night.

"Jer I even asked for just one of them to stay with me...But they said that Elena was upset and needed them. I was balling my eyes out with how scared I was but again..."

"Elena comes first..." Jeremy finishes.

"Yep. When they left. Someone was in the house Jer, my door was slammed open and yet the sheriff said the was no proof of a break-in."

"Ria, you told me this part already."

"The dream or the nightmare whatever you want to call it." Aria carefully says not liking to remember how her parents died.

"Yeah?"

"It was of mom and dad. Them in the car driving off the bridge...their deaths."

Jermey's head snaps down towards his sister's broken face "Oh..my...that's why you wanted them to stay home. You were scared of them..."

"...Dying" Aria finishes.

Jeremy tightens his arms around his sister now knowing how much she had to deal with on her own alone and with Elena attitude he wished he had known sooner so she didn't have to take so much weight.

"Ria. If anything like this happens again. Tell me. you will always have me ok?"

"Ok. I promise...but there's more"

"More?" Jeremy's eye widen. 

Aria sighs "The first week of school Elena and Bonnie were talking, and when she spoke to the police she lied about something."

"What would she lie about?." Jeremy questions thinking to himself.

"Her window," Jeremy says remembering how her bedroom window was broken and was always unlocked as it would get stuck if they had locked it.

Aria nods her head in agreement "She lied about her window being locked making it look like I actually faked the whole break-in."

Jeremy deeply sighs "She wanted you to get the blame."
———————-

Love Aria & Jeremys bond... so cute...