37 | R E S E A R C H

Aria and Damon were leaning against the car waiting for Jeremy to hurry up before they would go and pick Alaric up

Aria and Damon were leaning against the car waiting for Jeremy to hurry up before they would go and pick Alaric up. He had mentioned that he was taking a road trip to Duke University to search through Isobel's research to see if they could find anything that  linked to the Lockwood family and why Tyler had heard the noise from the Gilbert device. At first, Aria didn't want to leave Caroline so soon with her still learning how to control her new vampire abilities. But after Caroline had assured her that she would be fine for a couple of hours she had agreed.

"Finally, you take longer than a girl." The witch teases her brother who rolls his eyes in response.

"Haha very funny."

"You both ready?" Damon questions the twins who nod their heads and open the car door when the annoying voice of their sister caused them to stop their movement.

"Wait." Elena shouts out "I'm coming too." She says running towards the three.

Damon glares at the eldest Gilbert "No. Not happening." He declares it would be nice for a change to have a day where he didn't have to stop Aria from killing Elena.

"She's my birth mother, you need me to get in." Elena argues before pulling Stefan into a deep kiss.

"Seriously? I think Damon made it perfectively clear he didn't want anything to do with you when he drank five bottles of mouthwash when he thought you kissed him." Aria snorts causing Jeremy to burst out laughing.

Damon sighs "This is going to be a long day."

He couldn't believe how much he has changed without realizing it since Aria had been in his life. He was now stopping someone from committing murder instead of being the person committing the crime. But in honesty he wouldn't have it any other way, he had someone who looked up to him now, and needed to keep her on a good path.

"Let's go Dracula." Aria sings getting in the car with her twin completely ignoring Elena who was now scowling at her.

It didn't take long for Alaric to join the group for them to start driving along to the university, which was very entertaining for Jeremy at least as he watched Aria continue to threaten Elena if she did anything wrong. This then led Damon and Alaric to warn Aria to be careful with using her magic in case it caused her to pass out again.

Not long after, they arrived at the university with Damon the first to jump out of the car and sigh in relief, if the car ride was any longer, he was seriously considering taking off his daylight ring and burning himself instead of listening to Elena whine about missing Stefan.

Aria steps right next to him with her arms crossed in front of her "She's getting an uber back, there is no way I will be in a car with her again."

"Trust me, she isn't coming back with us," Damon says rubbing his temples with his fingers.

"Next time just kill me," Jeremy says looking at the Gilbert ring on his finger. "Hopefully I'll stay dead long enough to not hear anything she says."

As they walk through the university towards Isobel's office they notice a women searching through a box of stuff. Alaric thought it would be best if he did the talking, clearing his throat to gain the woman's attention.

"Excuse me. Hi, I'm Alaric Saltzman." He introduces himself with a small smile.

"Also known as Mr. Grumpy." Aria mumbles causing Damon to elbow her in the ribs smirking at the scowl on her face.

"I called earlier," Alaric adds when the women looks at him in confusion.

"Yes. Of course." The women shakes his hand "I'm Vanessa Monroe, research assistant. Comparative folklore." She looks towards the others and her eyes focus on Elena.

Aria turns towards Damon and whispers in his ear "How much you wanna bet she thought Elena was Katherine." She grins.

"Twenty bucks."

"Sorry, my friends Damon, Aria, Jeremy, and Elena. I hope this isn't too much of an imposition." Alaric Introduces Vanessa to everyone.

Vanessa shakes her head "Oh please, Isobel's office is right through there. She was one of my first professors. I'm a grad student."

"She was Brilliant, one of the reasons I went into folklore. I have to ask....has there been any news?" she questions sadly.

"Somethings off about her" Aria whispers to Damon "Her emotions are all over the place."

Damon frowns "Just be careful and watch your back."

Alaric shakes his head "No, no I'm afraid not."

"It's right this way." Vanessa says unlocking the office door before entering, I'll grab the light. Feel free to look around." She states.

"It's fascinating, isn't it?"

The group look around the room at the different artefacts and objects, Aria still had a bad feeling about the women and saw that she wasn't back yet.

"Where did she go?" Damon questions a little suspicious of the women now.

Aria turned around and saw Vanessa with an cross bow directed at Damon. As soon as the shot was fired. The witch flicks her wrist causing the wodden stake to snap in half in the air before dropping to the ground.

Glaring at the women, before anyone could stop her she had her hand around her throat "You couldn't have just been a normal student."

"Ria you've got to let her go." Damon says gently to his best friend, not that he wasn't happy that she had practically saved his life, but they needed the women alive to find out how much she knew.

"Start talking." Jeremy glares at the women.

"Please. Okay I frealed. You would have done the same thing." Vanessa stresses. "Damon Salvatore died in 1864."

"Okay I read Isobel's research." She adds.

"Then you should know just how possible this is," Alaric says rolling his eyes at the woman.

"Look all we need is all the research Isobel had on Mystic falls," Elena speaks up.

Once Vanessa agreed to let the look through the research, Jeremy stayed behind having his own questions for the women. When Aria had told him she had dreamed about talking to a Mikaelson he that at least part of the story was true.

"Have you read all of Isobel's research?" Jeremy asks unsure how to word his questions.

"Not all but some." Vanessa replies "Why?"

"Did she have anything on a royal bloodline?"

"Actually yeah she did." Vanessa stands up and grabs a book from one of the shelves "There isn't much on the family, she struggled a lot with this topic, there were so many different views on the story she couldn't figure out which was the truth.

"Different stories?" Jeremy questions "The royal family was real? And they were a part of the supernatural?"

"She had a theory which was a long shot, but she had thought that the fire was true and the queen and daughter did die that night and had suspected that the fire was done on purpose."

"I thought the whole family died in the fire?" Jerey titls his head to the side in confusion.

"Different stories, different truths." Vanessa shrugs "Her theory went a lot further, but it was an insane thought."

"How insane?"

"When Isobel looked through journals, she notice that when somebody was talking about the royal family there were no names included, if someone was asked for names, they would always have the same two answers."

"Either they forgot or couldn't remember."

Jeremy's eyes widen in realisation "Isobel thought that somebody had compelled everyone in the world to forget who the royal family was."

"Told you it was insane."

———