muffins

"Tada!" you call out enthusiastically, taking out the tray of steaming hot muffins out of the oven. The delicious smell filled your nostrils and the chocolaty sweetness lingered in the air. You just finished baking the second batch of your fantastic choco muffins with strawberries [if you prefer different ones, you're free to change], which your brother always praised you for. It was his favorite dessert of yours.

Not long after, a group of five boys slightly older than you, mostly by one or two years, came into the kitchen dashing after the sweet smell. It was your brother and his group of friends, who were staying over.

After them came in the sixth figure, trailing after them slowly as any normal person would, not like the others who came in barging loudly and almost destroyed half the furniture on their way. When he looked at you, your heart beat sped up and you avoided his gaze by turning your head to the ground.

Wow, where your socks always this intriguing?

"Y/n, did you make muffins?" Michael, one of your friends (because your brother's friends were also your friends, they knew you like their own sister since they practically lived in your house, spending there more time than at their own ones) asked you as he sniffed closely to the baked goods.

"Yes, I love these!" another one, Dan, exclaimed.

Your brother looked at you, grinning widely while he took one from the tray. The other boys followed his lead. Well, actually, they just took both trays with the two batches of muffins to themselves to share in the living room.

He followed after them, calmer than them and walking slowly as he always did.

You watched his back, watched as he took a muffin from the tray himself and turned to you. He offered you a smile of appreciation and gratitude, showing you his teeth as his eyes sparkled upon seeing the state he'd put you in - your cheeks red and you couldn't help but smile foolishly back.

You were sure you looked stupid.

But somehow, you didn't care even if he saw you when you thought you were ugly, had greasy hair or face full of acne. You had the feeling he'd never make fun of your looks.

His persona was just so calming and peaceful, never hurting anyone. Sure, he'd always tease you for your blushing and nervousness you felt around him, but they were always jokes. He never said anything to actually hurt you.

You decided to turn back to the counter before you made an even bigger tomato out of you, where the dirty bowl you used to mix the dough in was, along with the spoons and ingredients you haven't quite forced yourself to clean or put back where they belonged.

Sighing, you pulled up your sleeves and put the bowls and spoons in the sink, washing them. From the living room, the boys' groans as they hungrily munched on the muffins could be heard, with an occasional exclamation of how heavenly they tasted.

You smiled to yourself. You loved it when other people liked your baking.

It took a few minutes to wash and dry everything and after you were done, you moved to put the flour, cocoa and other things you had used back to where their respective place was in the cabinets or the pantry.

When you came back, heading for the living room to grab one muffin for yourself, you stopped in the doorstep.

Both trays were already empty.

"Have you actually eaten all of them in like twenty minutes?" you disbelievingly asked. "I didn't even get to have a bite!"

The boys looked apologetical, but the remains of chocolate crumbs around their mouths told you they did not regret anything.

"Sorry," your brother looked at you while he gave another of his wide grins. He didn't really mean the apology.

You helplessly looked at all of them. All of them, but you purposely avoided one person. Him.

Your brother continued talking, "well, I think it's time for us to go!" He jumped up before you could get angrier at him and the other boys for eating all of it without you, the boys jumping up along with him and running back to your brother's room to avoid more of your gazes.

He remained seated on the couch, though. Instead of following after his other friends, he looked at you, his eyes piercing you. "Actually, Y/n, I still have one."

You looked over at him, your lips slightly parting in surprise. Indeed, he was holding one last muffin in his hand.

Your anger left you immediately. "That's- that's okay," you stuttered and scratched the back of your neck. "You can have it."

He continued staring at you without saying anything, making no move to eat the sweet little muffin in his hand. Just as you were about to leave, he stood up and strolled up to you.

"I insist you have it." He took your hand with his free one and brought it closer to him, placing the muffin into the palm of your hand.

Your breath hitched in your throat upon the touch. His hand was warm on your skin and he didn't let go even after he gave you the muffin. His eyes were looking deep into yours and it took you a few moments to realize he's waiting for you to reply.

Trying your best to compose yourself, you grasped the muffin as you shook your head. "No, let's share." Reluctantly, you pulled your hand away from his and split the muffin in two.

You handed one to him, your fingers brushing as he took it. "Thank you," he smiled at you.

Your knees almost buckled down at the sight.

He bit into the dough and an even wider smile overtook his features as be chewed. You expectantly looked at him to see his reaction.

"It's really good," he told you after he gulped down the bite. "No, like, really. It's the best thing I've ever eaten."

You looked down at your ever so interesting socks again.

"Hey," his soft voice called out to you and he took your chin, forcing your head upwards. "Don't get embarrassed. You're really talented."

Your face wad burning up and you took a bite from your half yourself to save you from the need to say anything. You knew that if you'd try to reply, your voice would break and stutter.

You stood there together while you ate. You didn't say anything. He broke the silence by laughing when you finished the last bite.

"You have something there," he said in between chuckling and motioned at his own lips.

Your eyes widened as you hastily tried to find the spot he talked about, licking the skin with your tongue to clean it.

"No, not there." His hand reached out and got the crumb. He licked his finger. "Here."

Your cheeks heated up even more, if it was possible. He seemed to notice and laughed harder at you, causing you only to be more embarrassed and ashamed.

"Oh, Y/n, you're always so shy," he remarked, bringing his head down to look into your face as you bent it downwards to look at the floor.

"You should probably go after them," you whispered, referring to the boys. You couldn't force yourself to do anything more than whisper.

"I'm sure they won't mind if I stayed here a little longer. Actually, I'd like to eat another of those muffins."

You frowned in confusion. "But we just ate the last one-"

He didn't give you a chance to finish as he placed his lips onto yours, molding them against yours in a slow kiss. He sneaked his hands around your waist.

You melted into the kiss and touch, burying your hands in his hair, kissing back after you got over the initial shock of him kissing you.

You weren't sure how long the kiss lasted for, but you were both breathless by the time you pulled away from each other.

"The muffin tasted even better now," he teasingly said and gave you a lazy smile.