best friends love triangle (requested)

PART ONE

You watched bitterly as C/n attempted to flirt with F/n, your other best friend.

"Let's count our shoulders! One, two," he started, touching his left shoulder and then his right one. "Three." C/n touched F/n's left shoulder. "Four." He draped his arm from behind F/n to let it rest on his right shoulder.

F/n turned his head away with a scrunched up nose and tried to brush off C/n's arm.

The three of you have been best friends for you don't even remember how long - it was always the three of you ever since you were kids. Only lately, you've been noticing that maybe it wasn't enough anymore for C/n being just a friend to F/n, the same way it wasn't enough for you to be only a friend to C/n. The only difference was that you didn't let your crush on C/n show as obviously as he did with F/n.

Well, love sometimes is hard and painful.

"Guys," you choked out, to which they both turned to you, waiting for what you have to say. "I- I think I'm gonna go." With those words, you smashed a five dollar bill onto the table and walked outside, heading home.

It had always been like this - it sometimes felt like you didn't belong into their world anymore. Like the world of you three was replaced with only that of the two. You felt like they didn't need you, with their constant bickering and teasing, joking and talking, you felt invisible. Unnoticed. Needless.

Still, a part in your heart knew you probably won't be able to stop being best friends with them - you loved them too much for that and knew, even if it was less and less shown these days, that those two loved you as much, too.

There were probably just clueless as to how their behavior made you feel and you couldn't blame them. Instead of talking about it with them, you always just left like a coward without uttering a single word of what's bothering you.

As you walked, your eyes filled with tears and you furiously blinked to clear up your blurry vision. You hated what seeing C/n being so affectionate with F/n did to you, even if you knew that F/n was definitely not interested in the same way as the other boy - he made it clear multiple times he was not looking for love nor a partner.

The tears overflowed and spilled down your cheeks.

Today, it was just too much. Today, everything was spiraling into a disaster.

First, your professor rejected your idea for a project even though you thought it was perfect and now you quickly need to come up with another one before you miss the nearing deadline.

Then, you saw someone's car run over a poor dog on your way home.

After, your mom called your dad was in the hospital.

It was just the worst day you could possibly imagine and seeing your crush, who was your best friend of years, flirt with your other best friend was the cherry on top. It didn't help to know that your two best friends failed to notice you were feeling bad since C/n was so obsessed with giving attention to F/n and F/n busy with trying to pry C/n off himself. It was almost as if you weren't sitting at the same table as them in the café. Like you weren't their best friend.

Your phone dinged.

C/n: whats up with you?
C/n: f/n says its unfair of you to ditch us without an explanation so often

Reading the two texts on your phone without bothering to reply, you continued on your way home. Somehow, you wanted to make them feel bad and worried for overlooking you.

You knew F/n was partly true - it was unfair of you to almost always leave them without saying anything. It was just... you couldn't bear to look at your crush giving his love to someone else, even if that someone wasn't fond of his love the same way.