athlete

"what's up?" you blatantly asked the boy in front of you. holding your door open, although you didn't let him in - you didn't invite him and sure as hell did you feel like having someone over right now, during your period.

or, better said, the week of hell.

"well, you weren't coming over for practice," c/n stated, swaying on his legs with his arm behind his back. a worried expression overtook his face. "is everything alright? you usually never miss practice."

well, what could you say?

you were an athlete, on the tracks team of your school along with c/n. it was true, what he had said - you never miss practice unless you're too sick. which you didn't get often - you were that kid to never get sick, meaning you'd never gotten much satisfaction of skipping school and laying in bed due to a light fever. that is, unless you got your period, when you thought you'd might as well vomit out all your insides.

but wasn't exercise supposedly good for helping with period pain? did you, an athlete, really have to suffer such pain, making you unable to train?

you had already missed two practices, with today's one being the third in a row.

pressing your lips together, you replied, "yeah, all's good. just a bit sick, thought i'd rather stay in than make it worse."

to not get you wrong - under any other circumstances, you'd definitely be flattered that c/n would go out of his way to visit you just to make sure you were fine, but at the present moment, the only thing you could really focus on was the stabbing pain, overlooking the fact that he was so caring and sweet towards you.

"oh, okay." for a while, he just stood there awkwardly, as if he wanted you to elaborate.

and you stood there awkwardly waiting for him to go away.

he didn't seem to do that, though.

"so, uh," you cleared your voice, wanting to get rid of both the uncomfortable silence and him. "don't you need to go to practice now?”

“oh, yeah! actually, i kinda hoped you'd be good to go today and we could go together, that's why i decided to come stop by,” he sheepishly admitted, looking down at his feet. then he laughed, “i’m so stupid, ain't i?”

your hands immediately reached out to him to take him by the shoulders on their own without you even processing your actions. “of course not!” you reassured him. “i appreciate you checking up on me. but i still feel sick, so…” your voice trailed off, hoping he'd get the message to go and leave you be to get better in the comfort of your bed.

“sure, that's right. anyway, i didn't mean to bother you or waste your time. you probably need to rest, and yet i’m here forcing you to stand outside and-” his hands were flying all around as he got flustered and nervous, suddenly self conscious.

you stopped him by grabbing one of his hands in yours. “no, that's fine, really. hey, i’m glad i got to see you, at least,” you mustered up a genuine smile despite your pain, amused by his nervousness. “honestly, i’m not really sick, not like that. just got my period and it's killing the hell out of me,” you confessed to him, almost whispering the last bit of it.

his face widened in realization. “oh, right.” his cheeks colored again.

gosh, you didn't think you'd ever seen him so flustered and blushing like that before. but then again, it was probably because his cheeks were red from working out and exhaustion - maybe he had been blushing all the time during practices, but you just haven't noticed?

so did that mean, he got a crush on you, too?

you smiled to yourself. “yeah. i know, sucks being a girl.” you rolled your eyes.

“no! i mean, yeah? not that i wouldn't want to be one, though- i mean, if i could, i definitely would swap with you so that you wouldn't need to feel so bad-” he was becoming flustered again, tongue getting more and more twisted.

you laughed at th adorable behavior and his voice slowly died down, with him looking down at his feet yet again and fidgeting with his hands. then, he took a deep breath to cool down his cheeks and to calm down his erratic thoughts flying all around his mind, and looked you straight in the eyes.

firmly, decided, determined.

“if you'd need something, feel free to call or text me.”

it was as if the glance alone, the courage he needed to muster up in order to look at you like that and speak without a wavering voice, but clearly, made all his energy leave his body after he successful performed the act. a wave of relief washed over him and you could've seen his eyes and facial muscles relax.

you figured he was done with whatever he wanted to say - he managed to tell what he wanted without getting caught up with his words, and now, after the short and yet impactful sentence, he was waiting to hear your answer.

“don't worry, i will.” just during that time, a cramp decided to kick in and you scrunched your face in discomfort.

his face relaxed even more after hearing those words of agreement from you, although he seemed to realize the situation he was in, that he just wanted to see whether you're fine and then leave you to rest. your expression must've reminded him that you were in pain and that he was keeping you standing in the doorstep. “okay, imma go now, then.

pain, subsiding, a lazy smile appeared on your face. “sure, don't be late for practice.”

he began walking backwards, distancing himself from you, but still looking into your eyes.

“also, it's cute when you get all flustered and stuff,” you called out as you shut the door gently, leaving his standing there on the sidewalk with cheeks red and a slow smile beginning to spread on his face.

—-
I really did just write a thousand words about two people standing in the doorway huh