an early bird

a clutter of metal woke you up. it was followed by a dull thud of something falling to the ground.

you groaned as you glanced over to the alarm clock on your nightstand, narrowing your eyes at the bright screaming numbers.

it was barely seven am. on a saturday morning.

you heard a set of mumbles as the person probably picked up the fallen thing.

oh, well. you buried your head into the pillow.

c/n was doing his magic in the kitchen again.

c/n was a long friend of yours, and also your flatmate as of the last year. since you had gone to universities in the same city, you both decided to find a small, cozy flat that you could rent instead of living in dormitories, splitting the rent evenly. this arrangement involved you regularly getting woken up by him in the early mornings during the weekend as well.

not that you minded, though. of course not.

he'd always give you the pastry or bagel he made to try for yourself, which often served as your delicious, warm breakfast. he was training to be a baker or a confectioner, which involved him baking lots and lots of bread, cakes, bagels, buns, pastries and so on. usually in the early morning - because why not, as he claimed.

and, even though he navigates himself in the kitchen with ease, confidently, he still could be quite clumsy sometimes.

this fact had just gotten proven by the sound of another thing falling to the ground, which you could hear to your room. this seemed to be a heavier thing, though.

since all the ruckus got you wide awake anyway, you groggily got out of the bed (keeping the comforter wrapped around you to not lose the warmth) and strolled into the kitchen, dragging your feet heavily.

"what are you doing, c/n?" you asked, motioning to the mess on the kitchen counter. "can't you just go back to sleep?" you pleaded, knowing well enough this was a lost fight. he would never go back to bed after starting to work on a new recipe.

"did i wake you up? i'm so sorry, i tried to be quiet." the boy looked at your sleepy form apologetically. you swayed in the air slightly.

"is everything fine, though? i heard a loud bam," you knitted your eyebrows together, looking over him, trying to find any visible injuries.

"don't worry. i just dropped the bowl," he smiled, lifting the bowl he was holding in one hand to show you it really was nothing. as he looked over at you, his smile only widened. "gosh, you look a mess. you should sleep more." setting the bowl onto the counter, he walked closer to spin you round by placing his hands on your blanket clad shoulders, and pushed you to your room.

"there you go," he uttered as he watched you lay back down, his fingers reaching up to tuck a stray strand of hair from your forehead backwards so that it wouldn't bother your eyes. "i'll be more quiet now, i promise," he whispered and vanished to the kitchen to finish his project.

the second time you woke up, it was when c/n was shaking your arm. "y/n. y/n. y/n. y/n," he kept repeating your name until you pried an eye open to glance at him.

"what?"

"it's ten already. i made bagels. they're already cooled down," he informed you. didn't ask you to taste them - although the question was slyly incorporated into his statement and you knew it.

rubbing sleep away from your eyes, you hoisted yourself up on the mattress into a sitting position. "i'll be ready in five minutes." all you needed to do was to go to the bathroom to do your business. you didn't bother much with your hair or covering up any skin flaws - you didn't care whether c/n saw you like this. you felt comfortable enough to be in his presence even if you weren't put together neatly, braless, bare faced. he had seen you like that thousands of times.