learning to snowboard

Snowflakes softly cascaded to the ground or got caught on the top of your head, sitting gently in your hair. You accidentally breathed one in as you inhaled, the frozen water itching your nose.

"This is perfect. Let's go snowboarding," your brother suddenly exclaimed, eyes big. "I bet C/n would wanna come, too."

Of course, wherever your brother went, his best friend C/n appeared right beside his side.

You fished out the keys to your front door from the depths of your pocket on the thick winter coat you wore, finally enjoying pockets that were big enough to fit more than just a scrunched up bus ticket. The keys rattled in the doorknob and you exited the white fairytale outside, stepping into a warmth that would thaw the little snowflakes on your hair and shoulders in a mere second.

"I can't snowboard, though," you pointed out, knowing well enough that he'd ask you to go with them as their personal chauffeur. Since your brother couldn't drive himself, it was you always driving him here and there, back and forth.

Although, you suspected C/n had a driving license, too, but you couldn't be sure.

"You can learn," suggested your brother. "It's fun. Way better than skiing."

"Don't blame skiing on your stupidity. It's your fault you broke your leg trying it," you teased, laughing at the memory while your brother scowled at you for bringing up the things he'd rather left forgotten.

"Whatever," he mumbled and scurried deeper into the house. "But really, Y/n, wouldn't you wanna learn? If you'd drive us there? You know we have a spare board."

You had a spare board that was too small for your brother. There was a time that he used it, but ever since puberty hit him, he's grown way taller than the board and way taller than you - which was no fair.

But, at least, the board was a perfect length for you, now.

"Alright," you gave in to his pleading, sighing, "but I warn you - if I fall off the chair lift, I'm dragging you with me."

*

"Where does C/n live again?" you repeated the question that you had already asked before you got into the car, but forgot the address right away anyway.

"[Address]," replied your brother, fastening his seat belt. The snow that had been falling just half an hour prior had stopped while you were getting ready for snowboarding, leaving only a sparkly blanket atop the earth, sun already weaving its way past the clearing clouds.

You started the car, driving to C/n's place with the help of your brother's directions.

The boy was already waiting for you to arrive by the sidewalk, leaning his chin on his snowboard carefully, holding his helmet in the other hand.

You loaded the board in the trunk, C/n sitting in the backseat, and drove to the ski resort with a hum of the radio blasting the songs you liked, occasionally disturbed by a static sound since the signal was getting worse higher in the mountains.

*

"Y/n doesn't know how to snowboard, so we gotta teach her," your brother informed his best friend as the three of you finally exited the car in the parking lot, putting on the snowboard shoes and going to buy the tickets.

"That's fine by me. It's been a while since I've snowboarded myself so it'd take a few rides to get into it again," C/n said through his scarf that he had pulled up all the way to his nose. If he'd put on the glasses, too, his whole face would be concealed, passing for a nicely covered up criminal - if he was one, which he wasn't.

"Are you tryna rob the ticket booth or what with all that disguise?" your brother as if voiced out your own exact thoughts.

C/n frowned at him, pulling his scarf lower. "Hey, I'm tryna keep cold. It's winter, if you haven't noticed."