dog trouble

Not really satisfied with this one but hey, its been in my drafts for some time already so lemme just post it anyway
~~~

"Yo, hey!" you yelled at the dog that was speeding away with your lunch in his mouth. The hand in which you were holding your baguette just a few dear seconds ago was now empty and still awkwardly hanging in the air, midway to your mouth as you had meant to take a bite.

You groaned, not quite wanting to accept the fact that your lunch had just been stolen by a dog. Your stomach growled in response.

What kind of an owner lets his dog run around like that?

Sure, you were sitting on a bench near the park, but still. It was no fair.

Scowling into the direction the dog had run of to, nowhere in sight anymore, you contemplated your current situation.

You can either go buy a new lunch, or find the dog's owner to persuade them to compensate for you. The latter would definitely be more favourable, you thought, remembering back on the way your purse had stared emptily back at you when you tried to find the last few coins to pay for the baguette.

But there were so many people here. Besides, maybe the dog run away. In that case, its owner could literally be at the other end of town.

Actually finding the dog's owner proved much less difficult than you suspected at first, though - in a matter of seconds, a boy came running up to you, panting as he rested his hands on his knees.

"I'm so sorry," he began, taking deep breaths in between each pause. When he finally calmed enough to stand upright, you got a proper look at him.

A rather handsome face, with strands of h/c hair falling messily on his head from running, cheeks flushed and e/c eyes staring at you apologetically. "I'm so sorry for my dog," he repeated. "He's been crazy since morning, and he ripped himself out of the leash-"

Sighing, you replied, "it doesn't matter anymore." The boy smiled at you - you couldn't help but feel so less angry. "Although because of the dog, I'm lunchless now. Shouldn't you go get him, though? Before he steals another piece of food from a clueless stranger?"

"Right. But you stay here!" he called out as be began to jog again, this time to search for his dog.

Since you had nothing else to do anyway, having an hour still (that you had meant to spend eating, had the dog not disturbed your plans, and enjoy the sunny weather outside) before the lunch break ends, you continued sitting there on the bench, watching people stroll by in the park.

You had no idea how many minutes had passed when the boy was walking back again, this time along with the thief dog by his side, waving at you from the distance when he noticed you looking.

You waved back, unsure.

"I'm sorry again. Hey, but you must be hungry. Let me at least buy you a new lunch," he said, keeping a firm grip on the dog's collar, who wagged its tail happily.

You eyed the boy.

"I'm C/n, by the way." He stuck his hand out.

Shaking it, you replied, "Y/n."

"I really don't know how that happened-"

"Leave it be. It's fine," you said, trying not to sound too harsh.

He gave you another adorable smile. "What kinda food do you like?"

You shrugged, "I dunno, fav/food?"

His eyes brightened at the mention of the food. "Great! I know a nice restaurant close to here."

"You still have the dog. Dogs aren't allowed in restaurants," you added when he look at you slightly confused. After your last statement, he agreed in understanding.

"I live close by. Let me drop him off and we can get going," he suggested, referring to the big dog while giving it a head pat. He already began to walk off.

When he saw you weren't exactly keen on following after him (he was still a stranger you knew nothing about - what if he wanted to lure you into his basement? You'd be fine if he would just buy you a bun in the grocery store on the opposite side of the road.), he turned back, waving his hand. "Come on, don't worry. It's right there," he said, pointing his finger at a building in the near distance, just two crossroads away.

Well, since it was so close you could see it from here... You'd wait in front of the building's entrance, anyway.

Finally deciding to follow, you walked a step behind him when he deliberately stopped to wait until you caught up, walking the rest of the way side by side.

It took him only a few minutes to come back, dogless. Wearing a smile, he immediately turned into the direction of that restaurant he knew of.

It was a short walk through the city, so it was going quite fine. He tried to converse the whole walk, so you were able to find out a little more about him. He wasn't so bad, you decided at last.

When he turned into a side alley, you hesitated slightly. He nodded his head to his right. "It's right here. I'm not gonna kidnap you or stuff," he commented with a slight chuckle. And surely enough, when you looked to the side, where he mentioned to, there really was a double door in the wall, hidden by the majority of the city crowd.

"Well, this definitely looks like an easy place to sell my organs at," you said, referring to the outside of the restaurant and the alley - quite dirty despite being right in the city centre, with the building's side scraping off, the metal doorknob old and worn out by using it for a long time. There wasn't even a banner of any sorts - like the restaurant had no name.

Sketchy.

How even would he come to know this place if it had no name?

He opened the door with a slight ounce of resistance. You were immediately swarmed with a warm smell of food you were so familiar with, fav/food.

And surprisingly, the interior of the restaurant looked a thousandfold better than the exterior, neat, organized, decorated, cozy and pleasant. There were people seated at some of the tables, laughing while eating.

A waiter greeted you as you stepped inside, showing you the way to your table that you had just gotten assigned.

"Didn't expect this," you admit as you sit down.

"I know, right? Not many people know this place, which is a shame. They cook the best fav/food here," he leaned in to whisper the last statement secretly.

"However did you learn about this place, yourself?"

"Oh, easy," he shrugged. "My brother is the chef here."

Oh, so that's why he kept insisting this food is the best.

"So it's a family business?" you asked just as the waiter brought you two glasses of water along with the menus, thanking him before averting your attention back to C/n.

"Not really," he shook his head. "He just loves to cook, so..."

He began to tell the story of how his older brother became a chef here and you listened attentively to every word his mouth spoke, sharing your own fair of stories, to which he responded with another ones.

The food was indeed delicious. And it tasted even better because of the boy sitting across, telling you enthusiastically about something you no longer even paid attention to, simply savoring each bite of the meal and his voice.