class rivals (requested)

(did i write the idea of frenemies correctly 😭 ive no idea how to write it)

----

"Alright, class. we'll write a test to close this month's topic next monday," the teacher announced, earning demotivated groans and sighs from the majority of the class.

Some students tried protesting, saying they don't have time to study during the weekend, that three days were not enough. But professor (p/n) didn't budge, subborn as always.

"Torturing us is (p/n)'s favourite thing to do, I swear," one classmates said as the teacher left the classroom, break starting.

"I don't even have an idea of what this month's topic was," another confessed.

Multiple voices joined in the conversation, talking about the unfairness and complaining about the weekend being ruined, although their voices soon drifted away from your mind as they blurred into the general commotion and loud sounds always present during the breaks.

You packed your book and pencil case, about to stand up when a person's figure stood in your way, not allowing you to step out from behind the desk. You raised your head, eyes meeting with (e/c) ones.

"C/n," you calmly called out his name.

"Y/n," he repeated after you.

"You're standing in my way," you told him, trying to keep your cool. His head tilted sideways as his eyes never left your face, lips curling up into a lazy smile. His eyes twinkled with mischief and you already knew he was about to say something he thought was really witty or funny.

"You know I'm gonna beat you this time as well, right? But, man, honestly, I'm beginning to get tired of always coming ahead of you. So good luck, loser!" And he was walking out of the classroom, denying you a chance to say anything back.

"And I'll beat your ass if you continue being such a prick," you muttered under your breath, leaving as well. You caught a glimpse of C/n's back walking ahead of you, in the same direction.

You slowed down a bit to make sure you will not catch up with him on the stairway or if he'd stop to talk to someone in the hallway.

But why'd you even avoid him? If anything, he's not worth your attention. You should just ignore him.

But how could you when he made sure you'd always notice him?

Whenever he scored better on a test by a point, or whenever the teacher praised him, or whenever he was titled by someone as a student having the best academic results - all that he made sure to spit into your face with an annoyingly shiny smile and genuine laugh of satisfaction.

It was always like that between you two, though. Ever since you attended the same middle school and now high school, you were always battling for the better score. You didn't even remember how it started. There was just an unspoken competition taking place, you against him, and every per cent, every point or mark, every praise was counted.

But even though this rivalry was never really visible, the only signs being numbers scribbled in red pen on exam papers, everyone had noticed the tension.

Everyone had noticed you were internally fighting and some people even bet on who will get the higher score out of you two.

This test will be no different. You will be fighting for the better mark, the winner accomplishing nothing more than just a feeling of being better while the loser gets a dose of disappointment and irritation, mainly because the winner keeps reminding the loser of the result. Really, there's nothing at stake here, no reward to consider.

It's just about the feeling of achieving more. Of knowing you were better. Of the satisfaction accompanying coming first.

And even though it was slightly nonsensical, battling for points on papers, you continued to do it ever since the first test you wrote in middle school.