sob dish

you could already smell the food in front of your apartment door, the delicious smell filling your nostrils to the brim. as you entered, the smell got only enhanced.

"hey, babe!" b/f called at you from somewhere. his steps tudded across the wooden floor until he stood right in front of you, watching you take off your shoes and jacket.

"hi," you replied, hanging the jacket up on the wall. "what's that smell?" you inquired, beginning to follow him into the kitchen, since it obviously was coming from there - your boyfriend must've cooked.

"oh, i just wanted to try a new recipe," b/f shrugged his shoulders. "here, sit down," he pulled out a chair for you from underneath the table, then frowned. "wait, no. go wash your hands first," he added, placing his hands under your arms, grabbing at your waist to hoist you up again as you were already lowering yourself onto the chair. he gave your back a slight push. "go, but then come back here again. you need to try it."

smiling softly at his behaviour, you proceeded to walk to the bathroom, doing everything you needed to do before returning back to the kitchen.

you sighed pleasantly as you finally sat down. you had been on your feet the whole day, walking here and there, always doing something, and the fact that you had also gotten your period the day before did not aid to ease the exhaustion and pain.

b/f tucked your chair with yourself under the table, bringing you a cup of (preferred drink) as well.

you watched him shuffle to the counter again, taking a plate out of the cupboard and serving you a big portion of the food from the pot on the stove. it appeared to be (preferred food).

and indeed it was, when he set it down in front of you finally. it looked even tastier than it smelled, and you could tell it was not just the plain, original (preferred food) you were used to, but that he had put something more in there, a spice or an ingredient that made it look even more appealing.

your boyfriend sat across from you at the table, watching you as he leaned his face on his hand.

"are you not eating with me?"

"nah, i ate so much during cooking it that i don't feel hungry at all," he explained, and you could already envision him in your mind, tasting every ingredient at least a hundred times before using it in the dish, with an apron tied firmly around his waist, all messy from how he'd always clean his hands on it.

you simply took a big gulp out of the beverage in the cup before taking the fork into your hand.

suddenly, as you breathed in the smell of the dish again, it did not smell as good any more. it did not look as appealing any more.

nevertheless, you took some onto your fork and placed it into your mouth, albeit a little slower than you would usually. and perhaps the dish really tasted delicious, but all that you could focus on at that moment was the rising nausea in your stomach, how the foos felt bland in your mouth and how you did not want to swallow it.

you forced yourself, though, and took another bite. you didn't want to disappoint b/f. you chewed very slowly, willing the sickening feeling to disappear - to no avail. you took another sip.

"so, how's it taste?" b/f asked, seemingly clueless of your state.

"it's really good," you tried to appear as sincere as possible. it really was good - only you could not enjoy the food anymore. you felt like throwing up.

"really?" his eyes brightened, smile widened. "then eat some more," he ushered enthusiastically.

despite your stomach telling you no, you forced another micro amount into your mouth, playing around with it in your cheeks.

you could feel the tears swell up in your eyes as you swallowed the food in your mouth. looking down at the plate to avoid b/f's gaze, a drop rolled down your cheek and fell on the egde of the plate.

"hey, what's up? is it not good? does it taste bad?" his voice immediately changed from a joyful one into full of concern, much softer and quieter.

"no, no, no," you tried to reassure him, wiping the tears away with the back of your free hand. you could not force another spoonful into your mouth, though. you set the fork down. "it's good, i swear. i just-" you hid your face in your hands.

gosh, you were so embarrassed. "i just don't feel like eating anymore."

you heard b/f's chair scrape against the floor as he stood up in a hurry, circling the table to stand behind you. you felt his warm hands on your shoulders. "i'm sorry, babe. sorry. you don't have to eat it."

despite the embarrassment, you smiled into your hands that still covered your face. he sounded freaked out, not knowing what to do, somehow wanting to help you by rubbing your shoulders. it was cute and funny at the same time.

"it's not your fault." you pried your hands away and looked up at him, teary eyed. "it's just my period. the hormones are making me feel sick. i can't eat it." you pushed the plate away from you, to the middle of the table.

he chuckled despite the tears streaming down your face. "is that why you're crying? because you felt too sick to eat?" even though he was smiling at you as he said it, you knew he didn't mean to make fun of you in a mean way. he was just teasing, glad that it wasn't something worse. "i really thought the food was so bad it made you cry. but you should've told me you felt sick," his voice changed again, a bit more serious this time.

"i didn't want to disappoint you. you put all this effort to cook me this dish and now i don't even want to eat it," you sobbed, wiping your tears with your hands.

"no, babe. that's totally fine. it's fine. i'm not mad or anything." he bent down to hug you.

"you aren't?"

his hands rubbed your back and he kissed your neck gently. "no, i'm not. you can eat it later, when you feel better. or not at all. i don't mind. here, let's get you somewhere more comfortable." he pulled you up, taking your arms, and began walking to the bedroom with you.

you stopped him, though. "let's chill on the couch."

he smiled, eyes grazing over your face adoringly. "you wanna watch a movie?"

sheepishly smiling, with your eyes still red and glossy, you nodded your head.

~~~

Inspired by true events ✨ (but it happened in a restaurant 😭)