working late 2 (requested)

It had become quite a habit for you whenever you stayed late for your boss to come and join you and then end the night with him dropping you off. The first time you had stayed after the official working hours, a few days after your boss gave you a ride for the first time, he joined you while there were still a couple other coworkers about, trying to finish their work as well - they gave you astonished stares, eyes bulging out of their skulls, but their gazes soon turned into subtle smirks and wiggling eyebrows when your boss was not looking the more often it had happened.

It didn't feel awkward in the slightest, though. There was always a nice, friendly atmosphere between the two of you as you both minded your work and did not distract each other (although his face surely did sometimes give you trouble to focus), accompanied by a mug of tea or coffee and a couple smiles and praises from him.

Or, if he did not join you for reasons you'd never ask him about, you simply walked up to his office, knocked, he'd distantly yell, "come in!" you'd peek in with your head, he'd look up, your gazes met and without you needing to say something, he immediately got up and headed out, leaving his work there as he'd return after seeing you arrive at home. During the rides, although short - about ten minutes or less, depending on the traffic - you sometimes chatted with each other, leaving work behind to learn more about one another.

You began to see him as a friend rather than only a person of a higher status, an authority with control over you.

This night, the scenario was just about the same as the first night your boss had joined you - wanting to finish all your work before the weekend. Only, it was Thursday instead of Friday, that was the only difference. Friday was a national holiday, giving you a three days weekend instead of the usual two. He was still in his office, though - your coworker who shared the desk on the other side was still there with you, with the same idea in mind as you, finishing up before the free days.

You stood up to go to the restroom, to give your legs and back a little break from sitting in that cramped position in the chair.

As you passed by his office, you could not help but sneak a glance at the door, wondering what he was up to. With furrowed brows, you continued to the restroom. You didn't see him at all today, only when he briefly exited his office for a bathroom break, but even then he was in a hurry, practically running there to waste as little time as possible and quickly return to work again. He was there in the morning before you and probably going to leave after you, too.

When you came back to your desk, you dived into work again.

A distant thunder crashed and softly echoed throughout the big building. You looked up at the sound only to see faint droplets or rain falling onto the windows, the light of the lamps on your and some of your coworkers desks reflecting on them. The light drizzle soon turned heavier, with the rain crashing against the windows with more force as wind picked up.

"Does it really have to rain right now?" groaned your coworker, hands on her head. "I don't have an umbrella."

"Me neither," you replied only half heartedly - yout eyes were glued to the screen, barely hearing what she had to say or barely caring about the weather outside. You glanced at the time. "Hey, if head out now, you can still catch the last bus," you suggested, leaving the screen to look at her.

She checked the time on her own phone, and her face brightened, grim expression gone. "That's true." Without wasting any more time, she began to pack up. "I'll be going then before the rain turns to a storm. Nice weekend!" she yelled, already coming though the door and aiming for the elevator.

You took another glance at the windows before plastering your eyes to the screen of the computer in front of you - what she said was true, the storm will come soon. In the distance, where you could normally see bright neon signs and yellows illuminating people's apartments, the lights were only very dim, unclear shapes - the rain was so heavy in there already that it formed into a kind of fog, prohibiting you to see too far ahead. The clouds hid the moon.