hospital visit

it had been a week since the accident happened.

a week since c/n hadn't woken up.

a whole week of you visiting the hospital, hoping and praying for him to wake up. the doctors had said he did not suffer too great of injuries, yes, but it wasn't easy, listening to his ragged breath, seeing his eyes flutter beneath his closed eyelids as he lay there in the hospital bed, dressed in a plain, white robe, one arm in a cast and a bandage around his head. the doctors had said that he is going to wake up soon, yes, but you dreaded each visit more, hating to see him helplessly lay in the hospital bed, his plain white robe sometimes stained with blood if a cut had broken its crust. a bruise was forming on his cheek, dark purple which would later turn into a light green, yellow. there were more bandages wrapped around him, his torso and legs, but they were hidden by the robe he slept in. an iv line was injected into the vein on his unbroken arm, with clearn liquid in a plastic bag hanging above quietly dripping inside. the machine beeped, monitoring his heart.

the room was small and it seemed smaller each time you came. a window in one wall let in the sunlight.

you pushed the door open and your spirits crushed. each time, you hoped that when you'd open the door, you'll be met with a sight of his open eyes and lips smiling at you coyly. each time, you were met with disappointment - he was still unconscious. and instead of with that joyful sight, your eyes glazed over his pale skin, sunken eyes and dark bags under them, pale, beige lips and cheeks lacking their usual pink, flushed color. the veins on his free arm were throbbing blue against the pale of his skin.

you closed the door behind yourself, but didn't dare make a step closer yet. for a while, you just stood there, looking at him. deciding to come closer after some seconds, finally, you opted to stand next to his bed rather than sit on the chair next to the bed - you stopped liking being here, didn't like seeing him in such a state, and you didn't think you'd stay here long. no use to make yourself comfortable.

as always, you greeted him, began to talk about your day. you weren't sure whether he heard, but it was far better than the other option, defeaning silence. you brushed a hand softly along his forehead, touching his h/c hair. as you talked, your voice carried a low tone across the room, sometimes hitching or breaking, stumbling on your tone as you tried to keep from crying. your fingers fumbled with the strap of your bag.

a nurse came in to check on him and you politely waited until she left to resume your speaking. you adjusted the blanket covering his body. you held his hand, but it was hard to do so, not feeling him hold yours back but instead falling limp in your grasp - you let go after a few seconds. you adjusted the blankets again. you were itching to leave, to not have to bear witness to such a sight. you were itching to leave, to at least be able to pretend he's okay and awake as you would walk back home, when you wouldn't be right there in the small room looking at him to prove you wrong.

even though you wanted to leave, your feet felt glued to the ground.

"c/n, what have you done?" whispering, you knew it wasn't his fault in the very least. but still, he surely had no right to make you worry so much, right? "why can't you just wake up already?" you stood there for a while more, as if he was to wake up upon your request. "didn't you hear?" you were beginning to whisper yell, voice raising with more volume and force, as you were no longer able to hold your emotions back, all the misery and sadness coming down to weight down on your shoulders. "wake up! just wake up!"

when he did not move, you dragged your feet across the cold ground. but you caught a glimpse from the corner of your eye, turned your head and stopped in your tracks.

"y/n? is that you?" he stirred awake slowly, trying to raise his free arm, the one which was not in a cast. his eyes were still closed, but he pried his eyelids open slightly, looking around the room with hooded eyes.

in the blink of an eye, you pulled the chair closer to the bed, grazing your own hand with his. he clasped it, intertwined your fingers and squeezed.

"y/n, are you crying? why are you crying? don't cry," he whispered, as his voice was still hoarse and raspy from not having spoken for days while he was unconscious.

you didn't even notice that tears were rolling down your cheeks. but there you were, holding his hand after he finally woke up, crying when you should've been smiling. he let go of your hand and rubbed his thumb along your cheeks. closing your eyes, you gave in to the touch, leaning into his hand.

"i've missed you," you choked out through sobs. "i've missed you so much."

"don't. i'm here now. here with you."

"don't you dare ever leave me like that again."

"i won't. i promise." he caressed your hand with his thumb, before a doctor came in hurried steps and ushered you out of the room to perform a few mandatory tests, since he had finally awoken.

finally, a smile broke through your lips.