tutor

The big, fat, red letter as if screamed at you from the paper you were holding in your hands - the exam you had written the previous week, the exam you had failed.

The mocking F stared back at you, unwavering, nonchalant against the emotions bubbling inside you. You kept telling to yourself that it didn't matter, that you still had two more tries to write it and get at least a passing, if not a good mark.

You pursed your lips as you tried not to crumple the paper into a ball and toss it away.

Still two more tries.

But you felt pity - you had sacrificed so many nights, dedicated so much of your time and goodwill to studying until you were sure you would pass with one hundred per cent, only for you to fail? What went wrong?

Okay, no use dwelling on it, now. Should focus on studying again, you told yourself.

And you'll start studying now, even harder than before to make sure you'll pass with ease this time.

Thanking the professor, you handed him back the paper and headed straight for the library to get some books.

[in the library]

The answer on your own paper was different than from the correct answers sheet. You tossed the papers with scribbled numbers and equations all over away from you, hiding your face in your hands to hide the desire to cry you were feeling at the moment.

One of the papers managed to slide over and land before a guy sitting two seats away from you.

"You got it wrong here." His voice made your head snap back up, seeing the guy pointing at something on one of the papers, tapping at it with his finger. He moved into the chair next to you, taking his things with himself as well, and set the paper down. "Look, right here. You should've done it like this..." He took his pen and began to explain, with you eagerly listening, forgetting your embrassment at once. His voice was smooth and he talked with an ease found in one who could understand the problem perfectly.

"So, I need to do...this?" you inquired as you scribbled something onto your paper, an equation you had previously failed to even consider.

"Yep, that's perfect," he replied, nodding along while he watched you count the problem all over again from the beginning. "No, no, wait," he hurriedly added, stopping your hand from writing a number you meant to use in the equation next, instead gently guiding your hand to write a different number. "You need to use this, because then you can..."

His voice drifted into the air. You turned your head and stared at him while his lips moved as he talked, his hand still slightly touching your own. Then, his eyes bore into yours. "You get it?"

"Huh? Uh, yeah!" you rushed to say, snapping back and abruptly turning to look at the paper. His words began to settle in your head as you faintly remembered what he had just explained to you.

From your side, you could hear him chuckle heartedly, his head leaning back. It earned a few stares from other people wanting to study in peace and so he quickly calmed down while whispering sorry to the people sitting at the same desk from the other side.

Your cheeks burned, but you forced yourself to focus back on the paper lying in front of you. Somehow, it was starting to make a little more sense now that you were looking at it from a different side, the one that he had just told you.

Picking up the pen, you solved the problem correctly.

"Look, I got it!" you whisper-yelled, pushing the paper into his face.

He covered his mouth to stifle another laugh while with his other hand, he softly moved the paper away from himself to look at it properly.

"Good!" he responded seemingly mirroring your excitement from finally understanding everything.

"Thanks," you said sheepishly, retrieving the paper back and clutching it in your hands. Suddenly, you felt shy in front of him.

"Nothing to thank for. If you ever need any help, just hit me up," he kindly offered with a quiet chuckle, standing up from his seat as he packed his things and strolled away.

Wait, you realized.

He seemed to realize too, because he halted in his step all of a sudden and turned back, walking your direction.

"I forgot I never even got your name or number," he admitted, scratching his head while giving you an embarrassed yet amused smile.

Returning the smile, you replied, "me neither."

"I'm C/n," he said as he handed you his phone.

"Y/n," you handed him the phone back.

"Y/n," he repeated the name as if tasting it. It rolled off his tongue smoothly, making the name sound like honey. "That's a cute name. Suits you," he winked at you.

"I'll text you later, alright?" He ruffled your hair and left.

And, as he said, he texted you just the evening the same day.

C/n: hey, c/n here :) i enjoyed our time in library today
C/n: hope we can repeat it soon, ill gladly be your tutor if you need one ;)

Heart skipping a beat, you saved his number into your phone and texted back right away.