nightmare

you were in a distressed state, shaking wildly while hugging your knees close to your chest. you had hastily turned on the lamp a few minutes ago so that the shadows in the room would not look as dark and menacing, so that you would be sure there was nothing moving in there, and tried to calm yourself down.

a few tears ran down your cheeks as a reaction to the scary dream you had dreamt some time ago, from which you had woken up sweaty and on the verge of screaming and crying.

you still felt like your beating against your ribcage as if it would break out of your chest any minute now.

you had your blanket pulled over you as it was the middle of raging winter, but even the warm blanket could not conceal the waves of shivers that shook your body so violently.

you probably won't be getting any more sleep this night. it was one of the most vivid nightmares you had ever experienced, and you had no means of risking to get back to the place by falling asleep again.

you did not want to ever relive that awful dream. even if it meant sacrificing your sleep.

the footsteps echoing in the hallway as someone walked through the flat made even more shivers creep through your skin. you were holding your breath, trying to listen to the silence through the crippling sounds the blanket made due to your shaking body.

pressing your knees even closer to your chest, you interlocked your fingers even tighter.

the footsteps stopped outside your room.

it was as if your flatmate was hesitating in front of your door, whether to come in or not. and even though you would love for c/n to come visit any other night, this one was not one of them. you did not want him to see you like that, shaking and softly crying in the middle of your bed.

it wasn't exactly the most attractive thing to blow off your crush with, after all. and you had been getting nightmares ever since as a kid, so you were kind of used to this by now. even though it sucked, yes, you knew how to deal with it.

but your flatmate remained standing in front of your door - you knew because you could not hear any footsteps walking further away.

and then - he knocked.

"y-yeah?" you called, trying to sound normal. but you could not achieve that, seeing as your voice broke due to the state you were in.

without saying what he wanted through the door, he opened them to peek inside and when his gaze fell on you, the tender smile he wore dropped down.

immediately, he rushed closer, placing his warm big hand on your shoulder gently, as if he wasn't sure how much he was allowed to touch, if even.

"what's wrong, y/n?" he questioned, sounding rather worried. his brows furrowed together as he looked over you, not knowing what was happening.

you tried to smile despite the heart that was beating in your throat. "it's nothing. just had a nightmare," you tried to brush it off, but the answer didn't seem to satisfy him.

"are you okay? it must've been a pretty intense one," he stated, rubbing your upper back lightly in an attempt to ease you.

"yeah, don't worry. i've been getting them from an early age, it's always like this. just go back to sleep."

his brows knitted together even more closely. "i'm not going to leave you alone like this," he told you firmly.

"it's gonna pass," you shook your head. "just go back to sleep. you must be tired."

"it's fine. i was just tossing around in bed anyway, so i wanted to get some water to maybe help me fall asleep," he said, as if he needed to defend himself somehow, to clarify his actions. "how do i help? my bed's a little bigger, you could come sleep in there with me," he suggested, sitting on the edge of your bed while still keeping his hand on your shaking shoulder.

truth be told, it sounded tempting. not because it was c/n - but because it was a friend who offered you could stay with him. being alone was the last thing you wanted now, so the thought of being able to reassure yourself that the nightmare is not going to play out by feeling another person's presence next to you, by knowing you were safe, sounded actually nice. and maybe you'd be able to get some sleep, too.

"alright, come with me," c/n announced all of a sudden before you could even give him your answer (which would've been positive anyway), "you're sleeping in my bed tonight." maybe he had taken your longer silence as hesitation, so he made the choice for you.

you hoisted yourself up from the bed, still shivering, although the short conversation calmed you down a bit as you temporarily forgot about the events of the nightmare. the boy took your arm with immense care, as if he was handling something extremely fragile, and slowly guided you to his room in the dark (as he turned off your lamp). keeping a grip on you to assure you he was still there standing by your side in the dark, he led you until you were standing in front of his bed and your eyes had somehow gotten accustomed with the darkness again, making you able to see his faint figure.

"which side do you want?" he asked.

"the one farther away from the door," you said, carefully hopping onto his bed and scooting to your chosen side. he chuckled at your comment, but was still worried about you.

he lay down, keeping a respectful distance between you. the bed was just big enough for you both with still some space, and you both lay on your own sides.

but you still couldn't stop shaking. you only hoped he couldn't feel it as well.

it was quiet for a minute or two, until the boy beside you turned, shifted.

closer.

and closer.

the mattress on your side dipped with the added weight.

you felt his hand sneak onto your hip (since you lay with your back turned to him), falling down to your belly. "hey," he whispered comfortingly. "you're safe now. whatever had happened in that scary dream of yours, was not real."

you focused on his hand burning with warmth on your skin. he was right it wasn't real. his hand was real, and his breath reaching the back of your neck was real, too. you focused on him being real instead of thinking back to the nightmare.

"can i hold you?" his voice appeared timid in the silence of the deep night.

you nodded your head, hoping he could see the motion. you couldn't rely on your voice then.

he pressed his body even closer, his chest touching your back with each breath he took, and his hand placed steadier, firmer and more surely on your waist.

"don't be scared anymore. just forget it," he continued to whisper. "and next time something like this happens, you're always free to come crash here."

slowly, your body ceased shaking, and a pleasant weariness overtook you once more.