Chapter one

"What do you mean she's taken?" Natalia asked as I paced in the living room

"I left her with Rodger, one of my most trusted men, and thought she'd come back before I did. The next thing I know, the house is empty, Bri and Eva are gone, and then I get messages from some unknown number that tell me I should hurry and find her before it's too late," I explained, feeling my heart race against my ribcage. "Fuck my life," I cursed in Italian before I sat down on the adjacent couch that Nat sat on and felt my shoulders slump.

"But-But maybe it's just service," Natalia began to say, worry creeping into her own body.

Brielle was like her own daughter and Evara was her most loved grandchild. I couldn't imagine what she was feeling even if I was close to burning the fucking world to the ground.

"Maybe she's just stuck in traffic." She looked around the room before managing to get up with shaky legs and make her way to the sink. "Th-This cannot be, Nico. My babies," she said before a sob broke through her throat. "Not my babies." Natalia's knees buckled before she crumbled to the ground. I hurried to my feet and rushed to her side. "Not my babies!" She cried out, making me wince.

"They'll be okay," I said, mostly trying to convince myself this was true. I wrapped my arms around her body before she clung to my arms and wept. My phone began to ring in my pocket before I pulled it out and answered without even checking who it was.

"What?" I demanded before hearing Nate's voice.

"Rodger was found a few miles away from the park." I cursed under my breath before I gently pulled Natalia to her feet and headed into the living room to continue the conversation.

"Anything on her?"

"Nothing. Like a drop in the sea," I could feel my chest tighten as the realisation of how real this fucking situation was dawned on me.

"Fuck my life."

"I've checked with the airport, but none of them want to tell me anything because they believe I'm using you." I cursed before I took out my old phone and made a call to the airport. "Listen-"

"New York airport administration, how can I-"

"Nathanial Dalton reached out to you earlier."

"Y-Yes, he did, Mr Salucci, how-"

"Do whatever he fucking pleases, or I will ensure that not a single one of you down at that airport will live to see another day."

You could hear a pin drop on the other end.

"Of-Of course, Mr-" I hung up before moving my attention to Nate.

"They'll do as you ask-"

"I need you to talk to your father. This has him written all over." I ran a hand through my hair as my rigid breath left my mouth.