Chapter seventeen

I sat in the private jet with Gio right across from me

I sat in the private jet with Gio right across from me. I was fidgeting in my seat, feeling uncomfortable about the entire situation. The nerves were about to get the best of me.

Gio was scrolling on his phone before he looked up from his screen and began staring at me.

"What?" I asked out of sheer discomfort from his sudden stare.

"Why are you fidgeting?" I forced my muscles to freeze at that moment. "I know you are worried but I will be there with you. I would never leave you to fend for yourself."

Like that eased anything.

No hard feelings, though.

"I know," I muttered and looked through my window. "I'm just..." I sighed. "I don't know if I can trust myself with her life. Not when so much is on the line."

"Brielle is strong herself, you know?" Gio replied, tucking his phone into the pocket of his jacket. "I know you don't like me saying that but it's true. While I know that we will try to save her, I'm betting my money that she's already fighting back."

Knowing what Bráulio was capable of, it wouldn't surprise me if he punished her for standing up to him. Hell forbids actually taking advantage of her.

"I want you to calm down, Nicolas, because I can tell you that your nerves will doom this entire plan," Gio explained, crossing his arms over his chest. "I'm your friend. Family even. So, trust me when I tell you that I know you long enough, and therefore, have seen what you look like while nervous. You can't fool me."

"I just miss her," the words slipped past my lips as a whisper before my hand ran through my hair and I leaned forward.

I don't think I have ever been so emotional over anything in my life. Especially not over another person despite my love for them. Brielle was the only light I could see ever since I met her. There was nothing else that surrounded us when I was with her. There was not a single thought that mattered when I even breathed near her.

"Oh, shit," I heard Gio curse as tears managed to slip past my eyes. I felt his hand press against my shoulder as I sobbed into my hands, feeling more vulnerable than ever. I doubted anyone had seen me cry, excluding Brielle and Nate, but I remember crying in front of the latter out of happiness. Not because I was upset or breaking in every way possible.

I felt my chest tighten so much it was difficult to breathe as tears streamed down my face and I could hear my sobs echo against the plane walls. For once in my life, I was not even remotely bothered by breaking down in front of someone other than Brielle.

All that I thought of at that moment were the many times that life had disappointed me.

Especially after I had met her and my life was thrown into the havoc of the century.

I walked into the estate, feeling my body's numbness take over. It was difficult to head over to my office but once I entered, my eyes stilled at the view of the garden.