Chapter eighteen

I stared through the window of the hotel we found in the heart of the city

I stared through the window of the hotel we found in the heart of the city. We didn't want to stand out in some secluded hotel and opted for one near the centre. My phone buzzed in my pocket.

Burner phone G.: We have a problem.

Burner phone G.: Carlo is in London.

Burner phone G.: I have traced him to some hotel right now but there's been no trace afterwards.

Nicolas: Will he be a problem?

Burner phone G.: Probably. I'll try to figure something out but until then, I'll keep you updated.

Nicolas: Thank you.

I placed my phone beside me on the bed before lying down, feeling my muscles relax even if I did not feel like it. Carlo being so close did raise a few possibilities. Especially since he knew about Evara's existence from someone. I was yet to figure out how it happened and I was promised by my associate that the truth would eventually come out.

I thought about the possible people in my life that could have had something to do with all of this. I couldn't see any of the men I grew up with behind this since my trust ran more profound than some belief that they would betray me. They had earned my trust long ago.

But even the women that were in the penthouse right now were not ones that I would see turning their backs on me. Running my hand across my face, I heard Gio walk out of the bathroom.

"This place is nice," he mumbled, closing the door. I hummed in response as I closed my eyes. "I'll call Greta later so we can discuss the plan moving forward," Gio went on. "We might have to move quicker than expected because of the messages."

"Carlo is in London," I said. "I was notified earlier and I have a feeling something is brewing there."

"Maybe he's visiting William? No?" I shrugged, keeping my eyes closed and enjoying the silence.

"Perhaps. But he wouldn't visit him without a reason," I said. "Even if Marion is on the verge of a fallout, it doesn't mean that they won't try to save it. After all, Will spent a load of money on that institute." Gio sat down on an armchair, pushed beside the full-length windows.

"Do you really believe someone is lying to you?" Gio asked.

"That is what I am afraid of." A phone began to ring, almost startling me.

"Hey," Gio stood up and disappeared into the bathroom. I could hear my sister's voice on the other end of the call. I'd gotten used to the fact that they were dating and was actually happy for both of them.

I was just in the worst position in regard to my own love life. I sat up and looked around the room, thinking about my next moves before I stood, grabbed the car keys and rushed through the door. Maybe Gio would be mad that I left him without a word, but at the moment, I did not care. I couldn't sit there in one of the best hotels money could get, while the love of my life was hell knew where, going through whatever was worst.