Chapter fifteen

I lay in a fetal position on the cold floor as I attempted to breathe and calm myself down

I lay in a fetal position on the cold floor as I attempted to breathe and calm myself down. It's been a few days since I last saw Velasco but, in some sense, I was thankful for it.

Time passed slowly here even with the frequent naps I was forcing myself to take. I've had all of the time in the world to think through the events that played out before I was taken but as the days went by, I began forgetting the smaller details.

For the past few days, however, it's become difficult not to be reminiscent of the revelation that Eduardo managed to surprise me with. It was one of the few reasons I wished to see Nicolas but knew it wasn't the most important. As much as I loved and missed my parents dearly, I've had years of getting over their death to experience. Now, I had my own family that I wanted to get back to.

I couldn't stand being so helpless in this moment yet there was nothing I could do. Just lay there, in nothing but practical darkness and remember the good times I had with Nicolas and my daughter for comfort.

I knew it was only a matter of time until the strange man would show up and taunt me further with his vague words and nothing but threats.

At least Evara was now safe and with her father. It was the only thing that eased the pain I felt while being here.

But I did begin to question Nicolas and his past actions. If he had the decency to kill an innocent child for any reason, I would say that I did not know him as well as I had thought. The Nicolas I know wouldn't hurt a child. Especially when I saw the way he acts around Evara, despite her being his own child.

And if I were wrong, then I would be thoroughly disappointed.

What reason could he have had to kill a child and its mother?

"Good, you're awake," I flinched at the sound before realising it was Mr Velasco.

Where the hell have I heard his name?

I managed to sit up and face him as he closed the door behind him. Crossing his arms over his chest, he leaned back against the door. "We're going to go on a little trip," a frown touched my face before he spoke again. "I have reason to suspect that your boy toy will be here soon," my heart picked up the words and a sudden thrill engulfed me.

Nicolas was coming to get me.

"What do you mean trip?" I spoke quietly.

"I can't let him find you here, can I?" He smiled as he neared me, making my body move back like an instinct. "Don't run yet, Flor. You'll get hurt," a sly smile touched his lips. "Like your precious," he muttered before his hand gripped my chin so hard, I winced from the pain.

"Leave Nicolas alone, you piece of shit!" I growled, making him chuckle.

"You sure have so much strength for a woman in love with a fucking monster."