Chapter three

I stepped into the house after I had carefully opened the door with a simple pin

I stepped into the house after I had carefully opened the door with a simple pin. It was ludicrous how easily I could get in and just how little the man cared about security.

Maybe that was a sign that he was a regular man, and I would find nothing out of the ordinary here.

But I shoved that thought away for the time being and made my way further inside. I wasn't sure what I expected or even wanted to find, but I did hope he'd be sleeping. I might not like him, but I saw how much he meant to Brielle. I would hate to have to kill him with my own bare hands, and later see the hurt that my girl would have to go through even if it was just the grief of a man she once thought was her friend.

I walked into the living room, eyeing the small decorative pieces. There were few but I did notice a photo of Brielle and Evara on a windowsill. I couldn't have imagined just how much my blood would boil at the sight of that. I wasn't jealous of that, but because I wasn't so certain about him and his actual reasons for hanging out with my wife, or one-to-be, I saw him as an outsider. I grabbed the framed photo and brought it closer to my face to get a better look.

Brielle was standing by a fountain in what looked like a spacious park. She wore a light blue sundress with white splotches and covered her eyes with some sunglasses. Her hair was put up in a ponytail, while the ends were curled.

She smiled as she looked back at Evara who was running towards her. The sight brought a smile to my face. My little girl was dressed in similar colours to her mother's, and her hair was braided into two small braids. They were my absolute everything, and now I had to spend every moment without them.

I almost smashed the frame, but instead took out the photo and folded it once before putting it into the pocket of my suit jacket. I tried to think straight and keep my cool, but the lack of sleep was starting to take a toll on me.

"What are you doing here?" I didn't even flinch at his voice. I turned slowly, one hand subtly touching my gun. Once I faced him, I got a much better look at his build.

His hand was rubbing his eye, he wore a plain white shirt and long pyjama pants. Oliver's eyes were hard to decipher, but I could tell he was slightly startled and tired. I couldn't blame him, but this sight before me, began to prove me wrong.

"I came to visit," I said as he removed his hand from his eye and stared right at me.

"At one in the morning?" I managed to smile as I looked around the room. "I don't approve of you being here, Nicolas. I would like for you to leave."

"I would suggest that you update your security. Opening your door was child's play," his jaw clenched before he pointed to the door.

"Get out." I took a step forward, sliding my hands into the pockets of my pants. "I said-"

"Let me make myself very clear," I interrupted him. "I do not wish to see you lusting over my fiancé. I'm warning you now, but I saw the way you looked at her, Oliver. I will not tolerate some man who mysteriously showed up to comfort her when she conveniently needed it most, to try and take the love of my life away from me," Oliver stared at me, not a single sign of fear or even remorse. "She is marrying me, Oliver. Not you, and she never will. Get that into your head and move along." I now stood right in front of him, just inches separating us. His breath hitched when he felt me press the muzzle of my gun right against his temple. "I know you're hiding something. And I have a feeling Brielle is just a pawn in your goddamned game."