Chapter twenty-nine

Present day

Present day

I had to keep myself from crying throughout Greta's story. Despite knowing she had been involved with Eduardo, even if it was for different reasons that she had led everyone to believe, I had not expected her story to turn out like this.

"I know it's a lot to comprehend, but it's the simplest way to paint you the smallest picture of what actually happened," she said as she lay in bed on her side, her head resting on her palm. She seemed calm and collected for having to relive her past, but I assume it had everything to do with time. After all, it had been years, which must have allowed her to find some peace with her reality.

I couldn't even imagine what I would do without Evara and Nicolas. All I could do was offer her some kind of comfort.

"Well, say something," she said before taking a bite of a granola bar.

"I'm trying to process it all," I muttered before looking through the window to my side. "I cannot even begin to imagine how you might have felt at that moment," Greta chuckled, making me glance her way.

"That moment was sweet compared to the hell that occurred after I woke up," she said as she laid down on her back and started staring at the ceiling. "Every day I wish I hadn't woken up from that fucking darkness. Even avenging my father will never ease the pain I feel every breathing moment. Not only my son but the man I loved so dearly were taken from me."

"You said that you heard Xavier before you passed out," she nodded once. "Did your father show you evidence of his demise?"

"He gave me the opportunity to look at photos of both my son and Xavier but I refrained," she explained. I understood where she was coming from, and I probably would've done the same. The pain of losing them would suffice without having to look at the crippling photos. "I knew my father did not play around, and he was serious."

"Well, from everything you've told me, I believe that Xavier did not go out easily; no offence," she smiled. "I am sure he would've done everything to make those responsible pay."

"He loved that boy so much, Bri. And he was the one to see him bleeding out. A little two-year-old boy," she said, making my heart wrench. "I knew Carlo was heartless, but not so much as to kill his own grandchild. One that he wished to have one day."

"Did he ever tell you why he did that?" She looked at me before casting her eyes back to the ceiling.

"I don't believe a word he said about his motives," I frowned before she continued. "From the beginning, he went on about how he could not stand the idea of having any association with my boy's father and thought that I knew better than to chase around men like him. I didn't know what he had meant but I believe it was his attempt at covering his true motive," she met my eyes. "He felt betrayed by my decision to run to Eduardo and thus believed that by taking away something so precious to me, he would be giving me a taste of my own medicine," I scoffed. "It's ludicrous, but that's how Carlo is."