Chapter thirty

Sitting in the backseat with Nate, I watched the rain droplets rolling down the window

Sitting in the backseat with Nate, I watched the rain droplets rolling down the window. The clouds were as dark as night this morning, and the temperatures had dropped far more since my last outing earlier this morning.

My leg was bouncing inadvertently as I rested my elbow on the door and attempted to think through the plan over and over, searching through the myriad of possibilities that it could go wrong. I wasn't scared of anything that was to come, but I was trying to make sure I was being cautious. One wrong move and it would all go wrong.

My phone buzzed in the pocket of my suit jacket, and once I checked what it was that caused it, a sense of relief flushed through me.

Greta: I'm fine. Sorry to leave you so abruptly, but I wound up in Madrid, and I have one piece of information that will surely make you happy.

Greta: Bráulio is alive and not very well, but living.

"Bráulio is alive," I said, catching Nate's attention.

"What? Where did you find that from?" I tilted my phone toward him.

"Greta texted me. Her burner."

"Why did she go to him? I thought she wanted to avenge her lover's death." I glanced his way.

"Tobias was not her lover, you know that?" Nate smiled before I texted Greta back and informed her that we would be there later today.

"No one acts this irrationally over someone they do not love, Nicolas. I thought you knew that." I almost rolled my eyes, but I stilled, thinking through his comment.

I too was head over heels for Brielle, and frankly, I still am. Not only did I go against my father in hopes of being able to live with her, but I also put the people I cared about in great danger just to ensure her safety.

Not to mention, she was the mother of my child.

"You have a point," I said before we drove into the airport premises.

"If he's alive, then we have a good shot at getting some good information," he said as I leaned back into the seat.

"Are you sure we'll be able to fly in this weather?" I asked, focusing on the rain and thunder that blasted in the distance. The electric white coloured the darkened sky before the trembling sound shook past us.

"We've flown during worse conditions," he said, going back to his previous thought. "So, Bráulio?" I sighed and nodded as the vehicle came to a stop.

"I have to inform Greta to bring Bri there," I said, looking for the burner account on my phone. She had told me to refrain from contacting her through the account in order to remove any possible trace of our communications. After all, I had no idea what was happening in London or how far they'd gotten from the city.

All I knew was that she was alive and well and no longer in Carlo's hands.

"Has she followed you up with the events?" I shook my head as we got out of the car and started heading towards my private plane. We had to hurry due to the pouring rain, and because my driver stopped in front of the stairs leading to the aircraft, we got out with minor dampness.