Chapter sixteen

Two days prior

Two days prior

"Nicolas, can I pull you for a second?" I almost flinched at the sound of Natalia's voice close behind me. I smiled and nodded, following her into the kitchen and leaving everyone else either in the living room or the dining room.

My mother hasn't moved away from Evara and she didn't look like she was going to. It made me happy to see that it made her so content.

I did notice, however, how Evara, every once in a while, looked around for me in the room. I would've brushed it away as just some innocent little thing she did until I saw the look on her face while she searched for me.

I'd known her for no longer than a month and she had clung to me faster than anyone could anticipate, and it brought the best sense of warmth in my chest that encouraged me to find my girl even more than was possible. Our little girl needed her even more than I did and I would make sure Brielle was alive and breathing next to me.

Nat and I stopped by the island when she turned around to look at me. "I'm guessing you've found out, right?" A simple nod from me was all I could give her right now.

I didn't want to say that I resented her for keeping such information from Brielle as that wasn't entirely my battle to fight, but I was left with nothing but questions regarding her course of action.

"Brielle shouldn't find out about this for her own good-"

"She shouldn't find out?" I repeated her with mockery in my voice. "Are you out of your mind?"

"Nicolas-" I raised a hand to stop her.

"No, I will not keep information from her that has been haunting her since the night of the accident," I said, taking a deep breath in. "Eduardo killed Ada, Nat," I noticed the way her eyes widened. "She deserves to know the man that has not only killed her parents when she was little, hoping that she would die in the fucking car with them," I emphasised. "But also, was the one to kill her sister on her big day. Frankly, I feel ashamed to be related to a man that has caused her so much pain. I am fucking engaged to the woman who has been wronged by my father," I said, running a hand through my hair. "It is not fair-"

"That woman you are speaking of has her own family now."

"It would give her closure-" I tried to interject.

"It would rip her apart," Natalia stopped me. "I understand what you are trying to do but this wouldn't do any good."

"So, I should keep her away from her father then?" Nat frowned before narrowing her eyes at me.

"How can you say that-"

"George is alive," I tried to remain quiet enough so the people behind us would mind their business even if they already knew.

Apart from my mother.

"Wha-What?"

"Brielle's dad is alive, Natalia. You cannot tell me that she can't see her father who is very much alive and breathing right now," she grabbed onto the counter before tearing her eyes away from me.