Chapter thirty-two

The next morning, I came to the formal living room on the first floor, looking like nothing had happened yesterday

The next morning, I came to the formal living room on the first floor, looking like nothing had happened yesterday. But once I walked into the space, I was met with dead glares from Nathanial and Esperanza.

"What?" I asked, hoping to relieve this tension.

"Bráulio's guards found Alice's body at the bottom of a hill," Nate said. "Do you know anything about it?" I walked further into the room and sat down on one of the white couches. "I saw the body, Nicolas, and it reeked of you."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Eduardo had a habit of making his victims suffer," he began explaining something I was well aware of. "He would shoot them first somewhere that would make them immobile for the time being and then when he tormented them enough, he would take away their ability to walk. You know," he looked right at me as he said it. "Before he let them die." I sighed before taking out Alice's phone.

"She came yesterday night and tried to kill me. What was I supposed to do?" Nate's eyes widened as he remained standing behind the opposite couch.

"Come again?" Greta spoke up from the other end of the room.

"I was smoking by the edge of the hill and heard someone behind me. Her dear husband sent her to spy on us, I suppose."

"He wouldn't send his best ace in the cards just to spy on you. I think he knew that you would be an easy target that evening," Greta suggested.

"I will have to agree," Nate chimed in. "Mattia is smarter than that."

"Was this girl really his wife?" Esperanza asked and I nodded. "Oh, dear."

But Greta's words lingered in my head. Could Mattia have sacrificed his lover's life just to send some message? If he was crazy, then sure. And knowing that I could no longer trust the man, anything was plausible.

"Isn't it convenient," I said before chuckling. "He left for London days before Brielle was taken from here. I was getting suspicious of him-" Then I remembered. "Carlo never knew of Brielle's existence until Brielle was taken. His daughter texted me asking how come he knew about Eva but I just said I had no idea," I reminisced.

"Who told you about the warehouse being blown up?" Nate asked.

"Mattias." Then I realised. "He told some truth to disguise himself. To keep him as far away as possible from being associated with Carlo."

"And he knew about Evara," I nodded at Nate's statement. "It all falls into place."

"But why?" I leaned forward, resting my elbows on my knees. "What have I done to him that pushed him to this?"

"He could've become your mate due to these reasons, Nico," Greta added. "He might've been working alongside Carlo for years."

"We practically grew up together, Greta-"