Chapter twelve

I watched over Evara as she played with some toys I had gotten for her earlier

I watched over Evara as she played with some toys I had gotten for her earlier. We were in the living room where Greta and I were working to figure out everything that was going on in the Cosa Nostra.

"What about Marion?" I asked as I stood a few feet behind Greta and looked over at Evara.

"Here," he handed me her iPad which I took and later read through the document.

Since the 5th of May, two major investors (William Ledger and Robert Marion) have backed out of their investments in Marion Institute. The owner and CEO of the Institute - Carlo Caruso - has not made any reports regarding the issue. Many may speculate that the reason for this occurrence may be Carlo Caruso's absence from the company's work and devotion to his own corporation -Caruso Corp.

A former employee Oliver Saito has spoken out about the event and has stated that this is merely just a "search for publicity".

After both Caruso Corp., as well as Marion Institute, suffered their most significant reduction in employees back in December three years ago, the two central finance and investment firms in the States have gone downhill.

Experts say, the two companies which were factually merged after Carlo Caruso purchased the Institute officially months ago, will continue to plummet unless a major change is put at play. For one, it may be possible for the CEO to sell his branches to someone willing to buy them for little profit, or even close both companies down.

Either way, it's clear that Car lo Caruso's days as one of the most prominent businessmen in the US have begun to end.

I looked up at Greta who stared at Evara on the side.

"She looks just like you," she said with a smile. I would've reacted the same way had I not read the article apparently published hours ago.

"How come no one knew about this until it was delivered to the media?" I didn't even mention that Oliver's name had been brought up but it did give me some incline to believe that he was still to blame for something.

If he was that adamant to leave Carlo and Robert, why was he merging himself right back into the media, concerning the issue?

"I don't know, Nicolas. I was alerted when the article came out, but no one said anything about it.

"If he's struggling, he has more on his plate than to worry about the mafia," I said, handing her the laptop back. I looked at Evara who was playing with a small race car I found in a box of my closet. It was once a collectable I got for one of my birthdays as I loved racing, but along the lines, I got busy and forgot about the joy it brought me.

Now, my daughter was able to play with it.

But the downfall of Carlo and his businesses also raised another question. If Luciano was working with Carlo to get into the Cosa Nostra, he had another set of eyes that were able to work while Carlo busied himself with other matters.