Chapter thirty-five

I sat with Bráulio in the waiting area of the hospital

I sat with Bráulio in the waiting area of the hospital. Hours before, I thought I would actually lose him after the way he collapsed into my arms. I had thought that his severed head would actually lead him to bleed out from all of the red dripping everywhere. I had had nightmares of such moments where I was almost drenched in Nico's blood and I couldn't do anything about it. But to actually live through it in real life was a completely different feeling.

Bráulio had contacted Nathanial while he was searching for Greta. It was why we were able to get out of there as quickly as we did with minimum time lost.

Without a second to waste, Bráulio freed Greta from the chair, while Nate got hold of Nico and they were taken to the hospital. It was convenient that the Velasco paid a decent amount of money to keep the staff quiet upon their arrival. Thus, we were able to go about the situation without various eyes lurking everywhere.

Nico didn't take too long in surgery as he only needed stitching and Greta, though she did not need surgery, had to be taken to emergency care immediately to try and restore her body to its normal state. She had an insufferable fever and an infection which was beginning to spread throughout her arm relatively rapidly.

Although I didn't see Bráulio interact much with Greta since we got here, his constant stare at nothing in particular and the bounce of his legs were large enough signals for me to understand the man was struggling.

We sat next to one another with one seat separating our bodies. Despite the doctors informing us both of them were alright, we were not able to see either of them just yet. Neither of them had woken up and the doctor did not want us to wear them out.

"I went all of these years thinking that she was dead," Bráulio finally muttered under his breath but loud enough for me to hear.

"She thought you were dead too," I told him. "I'm sorry about Javi, though. I cannot begin to imagine what it would feel like to lose a child," I said and gently caressed my necklace that I managed not to lose with the letter E on it.

Bráulio managed to smile. "Evara is beautiful. Just like her mother," I smiled as I glanced at him and nodded. "It was hard for me to see Nico as a father but he's not like his own dad, that's for sure."

"Do you know what happened to Eduardo?" I asked since I did not have to opportunity to speak to Nicolas about the business matters.

"Eduardo killed himself," he said, taking me aback. "That's as far as Nicolas told me." I nodded. "You know, I knew I had made a mistake the moment that you kept denying Nicolas killed my son," he said, making me frown. He took something out of the pocket of his sweatpants and held it in his hand. It took me a second to realise it was Aurora's ring. "I knew that such a heartfelt woman would've seen right through his vices but you were adamant, so believed. I was just too late," he handed the ring back to me which I put on my ring finger and ran my thumb over.