Chapter nineteen

I stood in the garden of the hotel as I smoked my fifth cigarette

I stood in the garden of the hotel as I smoked my fifth cigarette. Sure, it wasn't good for my health but at this point, nothing besides Brielle was.

I leaned against the wall as I watched the rain pour from the sky and engulf the bright garden before me. It had a beautiful beige-coloured fountain with three tiers that let the water cascade evenly. A small anger statue adorned the top of the fountain.

There was a gravel walk around the said fountain that later broke into many smaller pathways, leading to numerous spaces for hangout. The space was beautifully decorated with small rose bushes as well as other plants that were fit for the usually warm weather. A few smaller palm trees were planted on the sides that usually cast delicate shadows onto the grass or walk, however, now the weather was not suitable for the occurrence.

A pool was one of the attractions that people loved about the hotel. But the weather was causing the water to overfill and lightly flood the grass and tiles surrounding the body of water.

It wasn't usual that I found myself in hotels. The locations I usually travelled to held my own properties or at least ones that my family owned. I knew that Eduardo had a small place in Madrid but contrary to popular belief, I wasn't entirely aware of it. Even if it was here and close by, I wouldn't be able to enter without his permission.

Besides, I was in enough of a scuffle with the Garduna to want any more issues.

Most of the hotel residents took their precious vacation time inside. Whether that be the spa or indoor pool, perhaps the restaurant or even the entertainment lounge where Gio currently resided. I couldn't fathom the idea of spending my time with so many people around even if there was nothing better to do.

I wasn't here on vacation. I had a job to do, which meant I had to find out as much as I could about this Susanna that might have been the root of my problems now.

I took out my burner phone as I inhaled the cigarette and looked for Greta's contact. I called her and put the phone up to my ear as I puffed out the smoke I held in.

"Yes, Nicolas?"

"Have you heard of Susanna Velasco?"

"No, why?"

"Can you check whether or not she is linked with Bráulio?"

"You mean is she his girlfriend?" I inhaled more and blew out the smoke.

"Yeah. It's a wild guess but before Santiago was blown to pieces, he said something along the lines of "I am blinded by Brielle just like you once were with Susanna"," I said before inhaling the smell of the humid air. It all reminded me of my girl who was mesmerized by thunderstorms and rain yet was scared of it due to the vivid memories associated with them.

"What do you mean blew up?"

"Carlo bombed the place. Don't ask me where I got it from but it happened. I saw it on the footage."