Chapter twenty

It was too dark to make out where I was but the air felt warm

It was too dark to make out where I was but the air felt warm. I knew I must have been inside but the lack of light made it strenuous to think clearly. Only then did I realise I had something on my face which helped cover my eyes.

I attempted to raise my hand and lift whatever had been wrapped around my head but my wrists had been tied together.

Sighing, I thought I managed to be wound up in another problem. My memory was strained and foggy but I remembered some explosion followed by commotion in some fancy bedroom that Belasco kept me in.

I knew that my mouth wasn't covered as I could breathe perfectly through it, but I was hesitant to speak. I didn't who I would be faced with when I eventually spoke.

"You're awake, good," I heard a very familiar voice. One that I could've sworn I heard more than once before.

"William," I breathed out, my entire body feeling numb. I couldn't comprehend why so many people were turning out to be the villains. I couldn't understand why he might have held a grudge against me because of his son only to take me and my daughter.

"I can see you have realised some of the truth, haven't you?" He mused as I felt him nearing me.

"William, what is happening?" I heard a chuckle from further in the room.

"I think the better question is why do you think you have the right to ask me such things?" I felt his old hand touch the side of my face before I flinched and moved my head to the side.

"Don't taunt her, Will," I heard another masculine voice that seemed vaguely familiar as well.

"Oh, come on, Carlo, I'm just trying to see what the old man saw in her," another laugh broke in the far.

"Colson will take care of her beloved," I almost laughed at Carlo's remark but I contained my emotions as the longing for Nicolas set in.

"What have you done to him?" I blurted out.

"Oh, nothing, Bri," Carlo said as I heard William step further away from me. "Your ex-boyfriend is going to bring the poor man to me and then I'll get to unleash my revenge."

"Where's the other man?" I asked, remembering Velasco. If anything, I liked being in his hands more than in people I actually had a history with. It brought a new sense of fear and uncertainty to me as I remained with William and Carlo. I knew that they had direct links to Nicolas and would stop at nothing to get back at him for making their lives difficult.

But Velasco was a mystery to me. Maybe Nico did know of the man but I could swear on my life I did not believe my fiancé had done all of those horrible things to Velasco's wife and son.

"You mean Bráulio?" Carlo asked and suddenly the name clicked in my mind.

Bráulio Velasco was the don of the Garduña.