Chapter six

"What do you mean?" Mattia asked as I paced in my office on the second floor

"Carlo found out about Evara from someone," I repeated. "There is no fucking way that he could've found out if he didn't pry into Brielle's life," I ran a hand through my hair as I stopped in front of a bookshelf and looked back at Mattia. "This confirms my suspicion of him being a suspect, Matt," he looked at me and frowned.

"I think you are overthinking this. I understand that you want to find your fiancé and daughter but it doesn't mean that the first person you think of will be the one to blame. Yes, Carlo has enough motives to do this but I thought you were going to look into your exes first, then your father."

"I'm trying to be quick and I have to take any chance I can to find the one responsible," I said, starting to pace again.

"How come Laura is out of the picture?"

"Greta helped me look through the cameras. And besides, they've been hiding from us for the past three years. Additionally, Laura thought that I was more interested in Allegra before she realised it was Brielle all along. I think she had more reason to take her frustration out on Allegra than Brielle," I explained.

The truth was, Laura thought up until today that Allegra was somehow different. That I liked the woman and had long forgotten about Brielle when in fact, I was more infatuated with Bri than ever before.

"So, now you'll go to Angelo and break the news to him?"

"If they still don't know. Allegra lives in the estate and Eduardo is already back. I'm pretty sure that she'll find out soon enough from my father's well-being that things between her and I have ended."

"And you didn't even need to fake that relationship with her," I nodded. "Bri did it all on her own," I smiled.

"Indeed."

"Anyway, I did want to talk to you about the warehouse," I looked through the window, admiring the city skyline. "Are you sure you want to keep it downtown?"

"Where else can I move it? Sicily?"

"Not that you have to. I'm saying that one day someone will find out," he said. "And I doubt you'll like what you'll have to face."

"Matt, for once in your life stop speaking in riddles," I looked back at him as he sat on one of the armchairs. He sighed before answering.

"William's men are already monitoring your fish factory. I found that from the transcribed messages between him and Carlo. They're not monitoring just that spot, they're looking at every damned warehouse there is on the Italian coast. Maybe it's time to think about moving it all abroad. To neutral grounds, where no one would have reason to suspect anything."

I thought about that possibility. Another option was to move it all to Sydney since Giovanni was well-established there thanks to the three years of misery he'd experienced over my sister. Maybe it would be a good hiding spot yet it would leave Europe empty. I could build another spot by the Atlantic but I had to be careful of the Garduña. I couldn't walk into their territory, disregarding their influence around the southwest of the continent.