Epilogue

Three years later

Three years later

I've dreaded my wedding day ever since I turned eighteen.

Most of that angst came with the fact that I was almost certain I'd have to marry someone of my father's choosing or for the sake of the empire.

However, to my surprise, I was dealt with the biggest gift of all which was my soon-to-be wife. Maybe it all started when Nate's father began working with mine and the strings of the universe managed to align in my favour.

Or perhaps this was the Universe's way of giving me the peace I deserved after my childhood.

It was all speculation, of course, but I noticed just how much I began thinking of them ever since the day Brielle came back to me.

I stood in front of a full-length mirror, looking at my reflection. I wore an all-black suit with a small red rose boutonniere. Brielle wanted our wedding to be decorated with roses and I couldn't say no to her. Despite my previous relationship with those blood-red flowers, I liked anything and everything she wanted.

Ever since my late brother's wedding day which ended in his and Ada's demise, I was certain that Brielle and I would never get married in that same room. It reeked of death and I was not about to have our marriage stained with the spirits of death. Quite the opposite, we wanted to honour our beloveds but in a completely different way.

I was fixing my cufflink when a light knock startled me. I looked at the door through the mirror and smiled once my mother walked in, wearing a dark red gown. Contrary to the usual Salucci wedding traditions, Brielle and I opted for something far simpler. We did not wish for fancy decorations, literal ball gowns and other monstrosities that seemed to be over the top.

She smiled at me as she closed the door and headed towards me. With her hand on my shoulder, she asked "How are you feeling?"

"Better than I thought I would," she caressed my arm as she looked at my reflection in the mirror.

"After everything that has happened, I am so happy to have reached this day," she added in Italian. "I've been waiting for this moment and I am so thrilled that you've found her." I smiled as I looked down at my hands as I fixed a cufflink. "And I wanted to apologise," she said, my smile slowly fading as I looked back at her. 

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"I should've known what was happening between you and him, my dear," she said, making me sigh. 

"Mom-"

"I know, my love, but as your mother-" I took her hands in mine before interrupting her. 

"I will not allow you to think that you are to blame here," I said, noticing the way her chin began to tremble. "You did everything right, mom, got it?" She smiled through glassy eyes but managed to nod once. "I love you and will forever be grateful for everything you've done for me," I pulled her into a hug, feeling my heart sting just a little over the pain that she had to endure all of those years.