Chapter twenty-seven

We arrived at my apartment momentarily and as we exited the elevator, the loud cries of Evara were hitting my heart like knives continuously

We arrived at my apartment momentarily and as we exited the elevator, the loud cries of Evara were hitting my heart like knives continuously. I saw her by the couch while Gio sat on the opposing one and my mother along with my sister stood further away.

Once she noticed me, she ran over to me and hugged my leg before her cries whined down.

"What happened?" I asked her in Italian as I picked her up and gently wiped away her tears. Nate was soon right beside me and caressed her head a few times before heading to the living room, leaving my daughter and I alone for a second.

"I want mommy," she said in English before dropping her head against my shoulder.

"She's alright, piccola fiore. I promise you she'll be back soon enough," I said before placing a kiss on her head. I slowly began to walk over to the living room when I noticed Giovanni's concerned face. "What?" He glanced at Mattia who then looked down at the floor.

"Greta left a few minutes ago without a word."

"She's grieving," I said as I stood there and waited for them to explain further. The last thing I needed to do was to coddle her in order to make her feel better. That wasn't Greta and she wouldn't want that sort of reaction from any one of us.

"You don't understand," Gio said. "She took two of your guns from your office and ran out of here."

"I don't mind the guns. She's not going to kill herself if that's what you are worried about," I said and sat down on the couch near Gio with Evara in my arms.

"She kept mumbling something about killing him but we don't know who exactly."

"Either Carlo or William, I think," Vittoria intervened.

"Yeah, I doubt Bráulio had this planned nor may be alive currently," I agreed.

"We have to find a way to locate Brielle and then get her to safety," Mattia said as he sat down on the opposite couch and intertwined his hands. "Otherwise, she may get hurt."

"She's with Carlo," I said. "There's no way that we could possibly find him right now and if Greta manages to do that, then we can consider ourselves lucky."

"She will get killed," Mattia argued.

"Not the Greta we're talking about."

"She's grieving," he bit back.

"And you should watch what you're saying," I said, catching him off guard.

"What the fuck has happened with you? All of a sudden I'm on the backburner of all things and I don't even understand why," I refrained from smiling as I had no solid evidence against anyone in this room with me but I did chuckle.

"First of all, I'm going to go find Bráulio. This cannot go further without him as I believe he was targeted specifically by Carlo and his puppet. Even Esperanza could help me with this," I explained.