Chapter twenty-five

"Take this and don't lose it," she handed me a revolver before I effortlessly tucked it into the back of my pants, catching her slightly off guard

"Take this and don't lose it," she handed me a revolver before I effortlessly tucked it into the back of my pants, catching her slightly off guard. "Alright," she shook her thoughts away and handed me a burner phone. "There is only one number there. If we end up being separated, you text me. Do not call. Understood?" I nodded as I put it into the pocket of my black jacket. I tied my hair into a low ponytail and looked around the hotel room one last time.

No matter what happens from now on, I won't be back here. I cannot go back to being away from Nicolas and my own daughter.

Greta opened the door and looked around the room before motioning for me to follow her out into the hallway. There was an exit stairwell a few feet away from our room but the door had been locked, Greta informed me. Thus, we walked down the brown and beige space, passing many doors on each side.

"I know, I will try to persuade him to do that," we heard William's voice coming up the stairs which we had come to reach so swiftly. Greta looked back at me and past me before shoving me behind a cleaning cart without another explanation.

"If I don't get back in five minutes, you run. Run so fast out of here before you find a safe space and text me," I nodded without a word before she rose to her feet and began walking towards the stairwell where William was slowly ascending the stairs.

"Greta," he said as I watched Greta's form from the smallest space between the cart and the wall.

"Oh, Will, I was about to go get you. I think something is very wrong with my father," she said, sounding assertive and worried at the same time. William placed his hand on her arm and frowned before following towards the hotel room I had stayed at. They walked right past the cart without a single glance and once they entered the room my heart began racing. I closed my eyes just for a moment as I remained still and listened for any cues that I might find useful.

A loud scream erupted from the end of the hallway which I knew had to be Greta's but I remained where I was. It didn't take long for the door to open and for William to emerge. I watched him quickly race through the hallway, getting closer and closer to the cart behind which I sat still.

"Brielle!" He shouted, looking like he was about to be shot himself. He ran past the cart without a second glance and disappeared down the stairs. I could still hear his voice yelling my name yet it became faint with time as he moved further and further down to the floors below.

In a matter of seconds, I rose to my feet, pushing the cart away from me, and hurried towards the hotel room. I couldn't just leave Greta after she had made the decision to save my life. Not only would it be unfair but it wouldn't be part of my character. I couldn't do this without her as she was the mastermind behind it all and I knew it was my job to make sure we both came out alive.

I pushed the hard door, which to my surprise was slightly open, allowing me to enter the room, and ran into it, seeing Greta on the floor, wincing from pain as she lay there slouched, her arms wrapped around her stomach.