Chapter thirty-three

I stood, leaning against the car, as Greta paid for gas and some food to snack on

I stood, leaning against the car, as Greta paid for gas and some food to snack on. I did wonder where she got all of the money from since I was certain she couldn't use her own debit card. Otherwise, it would be child's play to find us.

Watching her through the window, I wondered how much longer I'd have to wait until I could see Nicolas and my daughter. We were supposed to be heading to Madrid, but where specifically, Greta made no mention.

For the past few days, we've been driving through France and have made it all the way to Toulouse. It was not far from the border with Spain, and thus meant we were getting closer to our destination.

Another five minutes later, Greta was out of the store and heading towards me. Her hair was put up in a low ponytail and she wore a black leather jacket with a grey shirt underneath and black jeans. She handed me a pack of chips before setting everything else in the backseat.

"You said you were going to call Nico," I mentioned, catching her attention.

"Fuck, I forgot," Greta said and looked around to see if there was a payphone anywhere. We were out of luck, of course, but she had other ideas. "Go sit in the car," she instructed but I remained where I was. "Brielle?"

"Why can't I hear the conversation? It's not like you are not going to tell me everything later, right? Why don't we save time?" Greta thought about it for a minute as she looked at me and then sighed.

"You may not like the plan they've created," my brows furrowed as I opened the bag of chips and took one out.

"They've?"

"Nico, Nathanial, and Esperanza," it was surprising to hear her name mentioned, as I was sure she wanted nothing to do with Nico or his family. After all, Vittoria did not keep her word and left her son for Giovanni. Nico did say one time that it would be difficult to get her on his side, if even possible.

"How did they get her to be on their side? Are we heading to her estate?" Greta's lips pressed into a line as she kept thinking. "Greta?"

"Not really," she said, averting her attention to her phone.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked, but she was already dialling Nicolas, I assumed.

"I couldn't find another phone around, so this will have to do," she said and turned her head to the side. "I know, I know, Nico. Do you think I'm that stupid not to think of the risks? Or maybe you have become overly cautious?" She chuckled as she listened to whatever he had to say on the other end. "She's right behind me, you idiot," she remarked. "And I happened to know you are not alone in that room, are you?" She turned to face me and rolled her eyes before covering the microphone with her palm. "How do you put up with him?"

I smiled as I crunched on the snack. "Do not order me around, got that? I'm not stupid and I will deliver my end of the bargain," she said and turned the speaker on, surprising me.